You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colour Burn Blend Mode in 32 bit

Hi,

There is a difference in results between 16 bit & 32 bit when you add a new HSL layer then adjust the luminosity to 90% when the blend mode is set to Colour Burn.

I was following instructions given by @>|< on 17th February. I am very grateful for these instructions, thank you :) (for some reason I can not add the quote to this post)

Would it be possible to get it working the same in 32 bit or is this the expected result? 

Thanks for any help

32 bit difference with colour burn.jpg

This is the recipe I was following

On 2/17/2019 at 4:27 PM, >|< said:

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Affinity does have a Fill Opacity control tucked away in its Layer Effects controls, but it won't help duplicate the Photoshop result.

The trick is to use the L of HSL in Affinity.

To simulate 10% Fill of the Colour Burn HSL, set L to 90% (100 - 10).

To simulate 9% Fill of the Colour Dodge HSL, set L to -91% (-100 + 9).

Example to download: HSL Colour Dodge Burn Fill.afphoto

(HSL is dysfunctional in the current AP 1.7 beta, so you won't get the correct result in it, but AP 1.6.7 is good.)

before.thumb.png.fee9b7c8b8f3f28e04e3c59ac0770a9a.png  after.thumb.png.b2b7da2fd246368252a59118038e01cf.png

1 minute ago, >|< said:

The result in 32 bpc mode will not be the same as in 16 bpc mode when the controls have the same values. You should be able to get a similar result by experimenting with the S and L controls and the opacity of the two HSL adjustments.

Thanks for responding, I have experimented with the S & L controls but I can’t get close enough to the 16 bit mode, I will keep trying. I just wasn’t expecting such a big difference in the results. Again thanks for your help.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.