You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to choose particular guides and lock them?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

That's not so good. It would be useful to be able to set some locked guides (a different colour perhaps) whilst being able to use movable guides as well. Is this worth suggesting on the wish list?

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

As a workaround use a straight line (drawn with the pen tool) as a guide.

Individual objects can be locked.

Make sure you turn on Snap to Geometry.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

LOL Why didn't I think of that! Thanks.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Attached is a  file for having 4 different types of guide lines that I may offer for the new features suggestions but first I would be interested in members comments.

Guid lines.afdesign

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

The colour coding might be nice.

For the green guides are you suggesting that the guide knows that an object is attached, and that moving the guide would also move the attached objects?

If so, you can already get a good approximation of this behaviour by using Constraints.

I think the system used in Xara Designer works pretty well. Any object can be designated as a guide. It is then moved to a special layer (called Guides) which will never be exported or printed. This layer can be locked as a whole, or individual objects within it can be locked. And everything remains an editable object that can be manipulated by all existing (and future) tools.

Affinity could go one better by allowing the user to over-ride this default to explicitly export / print with guides visible.

Combine that with your colour coding, and the construction tools (that were previewed, and later removed in the 1.7 beta) and we'd have a comprehensive and powerful system.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Thanks for your suggestions and they sound OK.

Where I said guides were fixed to objects, in my eyes it was a case of moving the object with the guides rather than moving guides with the object. I see this as helping me when I am producing orthographic drawings where I may want to move a drawn view to another position to so another view could be drawn near it.

Your suggestion of a guide layer is a very useful. Perhaps it could be a default layer always present in the Layer tab.

I'll wait to see if there any other responses before offering to the wish list of features.

The colour of the guides would a default colour as well as a a user choice.

Edited by jackamus
Axtra thought.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I also got a suggestion for guides. When you use Guide Manager and click the guide's coordinates, be it horizontal or vertical one, the guide itself should get highligted (maybe change color) so you know what guide you're working with. Just basic good ux.
If you need to use some complicated guide structure, things get complicated the way it is atm.

Edit: Also, multiple guide selection in Guides Manager pane would be huge improvement.

I don't have time nor energy to test the betas, to if this was implemented over there already, disregard suggestions above.

Thtat's a good point. I'll add it to my suggestions.

I do understand re making things more complicated but that is sometimes the nature of development. At the end of the day it would be the users choice, I have a digital camera that has a manual larger than my first car's manual but I only use the features that I need.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

2 hours ago, CLC said:

Ho anche ricevuto un suggerimento per le guide. Quando si utilizza Guide Manager e si fanno clic sulle coordinate della guida , sia orizzontale che verticale, la guida stessa dovrebbe essere evidenziata ( potrebbe cambiare colore) in modo da sapere con quale guida si sta lavorando. Semplicemente di buona qualità.
Se hai bisogno di utilizzare una struttura di guida complicata, le cose si complicano nel modo in cui è atm.

Modifica : Inoltre, la selezione di più guide nel pannello Guide Manager sarebbe un enorme miglioramento.

Non ho tempo né energia per testare i beta, se questo fosse già implementato là, non prendere in considerazione i suggerimenti sopra.

Yes I also find the use of this panel for guides to be nice, but uncomfortable.

1. As you say you should highlight the guide in focus with different color

2. selection and movement of several guides (as if they were grouped)

3. Creating Guides rotated at user-defined angles
4. creation of vector shapes (any form) in guide, as happens in Ai.

5. possibility to open the guide panel by double clicking on the guide itself. (it would avoid the GUIDE DISPLAY / MANAGEMENT step)

6. Possibility of selecting and direct highlighting of the guide on the drawing table and moving the guide ALSO through the XY axes inside the panel visible on the screen Transform.
It would speed up the numerical displacement of a guide (as happens in Ai).

Wow! This is what I call 'feature creep'!

I'll wait a little longer for any other responses and then put them altogether and submit to the wish list. It would have to be up to the developers to decide what could be done.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

My only remaining beefs about the guides are these two:

1. they should extend all the way to the rulers

2. the user should be able to choose the color

Other than that, the devs did a cracking job with the guides.

Because I want guides of different colors, I also create my own. In this way, you can lock every guide individually or give them another color. Also I can combine the "Golden" rule and add my own grid (guides) to it. I support Catlover's remark that guides should extend to the rulers, which with your own guides (like I  described) is not possible. But you can save your own guides to use in another creation over and over again.

I have to be honest, I learned most here in this community and the Udemy instructor Daniel Evans (which has some Affinity courses but mostly Adobe Illustrator).

14 hours ago, catlover said:

My only remaining beefs about the guides are these two:

2. the user should be able to choose the color

Other than that, the devs did a cracking job with the guides.

hi Catlover,
I am Italian and I use a translator, I could not understand what you mean by this sentence.

Do you mean that the guides have to be extended throughout the pasteboard, as happens in Illustrator? So the quides belonging to a table1 also end up on table2, 3, 4, 5 ??

So it's very inconvenient. It's inconvenient in Illustrator! One of the many reasons to throw Illustrator away!

In Affinity Designer βeta 1.7.0. and the retail version, the guides do extend into the ruler but not initially. when you drag or create a guide from the guides manager the guide appears but no marker in the ruler shows, however, if you move that guide the ruler marker appears. It works the same in the retail version.

The difference between the retail and beta versions at the moment is that the beta version shows a numerical reference when not on the artboard/canvas as well as when on the canvas.

Method: drag guide onto artboard canvas, let go, grab it again and move it to your desired location noting the ruler marker.

1831097199_ScreenShot2019-05-25at09_47_07.png.ecb8bc271d673905cb9f9d147ce47c22.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

When you say extend to the rules, you can do this if you use a large Artboard. I don't use Artboards as I like to see the edges of the document I'm working on. So I agree that to see the guides extend to the rules on the background would be very useful.

One of the suggestions I made some time ago was to be able to see an objects handles/nodes when moving a guide. I'm still waiting for that one.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

in my opinion it would also be useful, by pressing at the same time as dragging the guides, for example CTRL, to activate a SNAP of the guide on the numerical notches of the ruler,
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7- 8 mm.
And depending on the Zoom, it is possible to hook the guides to intermediate sizes 0.5mm - 1mm - 1.5mm - 2mm - 2.5mm ....
higher zoom even with 1/10 mm notches etc ...
1.1mm - 1.2 - 1.3 ....

dragging without the CTRL key the operation remains the same as now.

I think it's a nice idea.

11 minutes ago, .: NICKY G. :. said:

in my opinion it would also be useful, by pressing at the same time as dragging the guides, for example CTRL, to activate a SNAP of the guide on the numerical notches of the ruler,
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7- 8 mm.
And depending on the Zoom, it is possible to hook the guides to intermediate sizes 0.5mm - 1mm - 1.5mm - 2mm - 2.5mm ....
higher zoom even with 1/10 mm notches etc ...
1.1mm - 1.2 - 1.3 ....

dragging without the CTRL key the operation remains the same as now.

I think it's a nice idea.

It would tie in with resizing options with the shift and Alt keys in the transform panel. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Just now, .: NICKY G. :. said:

I did not understand this thing you can already do or is it your further suggestion?

1. Create a square
  2. Go to the Transform panel and click in the W: 
  3. Hold shift down and press the up arrow on the keyboard, the units will increase by 10
  4. Do the same thing but this time hold down the Alt Key, the units will increase by .1

13 minutes ago, firstdefence said:
  1. Create a square
  2. Go to the Transform panel and click in the W: 
  3. Hold shift down and press the up arrow on the keyboard, the units will increase by 10
  4. Do the same thing but this time hold down the Alt Key, the units will increase by .1

OK! I got it.
I have the last beta 1.7 ...

1. press the arrow keys increase by 1mm
2. I press the arrow keys with SHIFT increase by 10mm
3. I press the arrow keys with ALT - NOTHING HAPPENS - no increment of 0.1 mm

ps:  however I don't understand what has to do with moving with the snaps of the guides I suggested

1 hour ago, .: NICKY G. :. said:

OK! I got it.
I have the last beta 1.7 ...

1. press the arrow keys increase by 1mm
2. I press the arrow keys with SHIFT increase by 10mm

ps:  however I don't understand what has to do with moving with the snaps of the guides I suggested

Use the same method and keys to have consistency.

5 hours ago, firstdefence said:

In Affinity Designer βeta 1.7.0. and the retail version, the guides do extend into the ruler but not initially. when you drag or create a guide from the guides manager the guide appears but no marker in the ruler shows, however, if you move that guide the ruler marker appears. It works the same in the retail version.

The difference between the retail and beta versions at the moment is that the beta version shows a numerical reference when not on the artboard/canvas as well as when on the canvas.

Method: drag guide onto artboard canvas, let go, grab it again and move it to your desired location noting the ruler marker.

1831097199_ScreenShot2019-05-25at09_47_07.png.ecb8bc271d673905cb9f9d147ce47c22.png

Hello, F.D. That's not quite what I meant.
I would like to see the guides permanently extend to the rulers, right across the gap between the canvas and the ruler, like it was at the very beginning.
As it is now, there is indeed a tine little line on the ruler indicating the position of a guide, but when you "touch" the guide in any way, it WILL move ever so slightly, unless it's locked.
That slight move is unavoidable simply because we're human. Anyway, I'm quite happy with the way the guides are working now, altogether a huge improvement. Choosing the color
would put the icing on the cake, because of the contrast with the picture/drawing being worked on. Blue on blue isn't always ideal.

C.L.

19 hours ago, .: NICKY G. :. said:

It's the CTRL key on my PC, not the ALT key

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.