Piro

Bugs and crashes - inevitable with complex files?

Hi All

I’m new to Affinity Photo for iPad, and new on this forum, so apologies for length and if I’m missing something obvious (I’ve never previously used this type of software). 

I'm really enjoying exploring the creative potential of AP with the 12.9 inch iPad Pro (2018) with Apple Pencil 2. For those of us exploring the art/photography interface, the combination of AP on iPad with Pencil is a game-changer. 

I've had no difficulties at all with relatively simple photo editing (file sizes of around 130 mb with several layers).

However, I'm also experimenting with quite complex photo collages, some containing as many as 50 layers and resulting in file sizes typically of 800 mb, and in one instance 1.5 gb (some of the layers involve freestyle brushwork). The collages are made by adding and rasterising photos to a background scene using the ‘place’ function, then the Selection persona to add parts of of the new photo to the collage.

My experience over the last couple of weeks is that once such collages reach a certain size/complexity, the file becomes corrupted somehow and AP crashes. This usually occurs after re-sizing or moving objects, or some other type of re-working. 

I've found that the only way to avoid losing work when this begins to happen is to regularly press the Document button and choose 'save a copy'. Selecting 'save' on the subsequent screen enables the file to be saved to the iPad's Documents folder. Then if the program crashes again before a further copy is made in this way, the saved file provides a clean restore point (the 'current' buggy version of the file has to be closed without saving in order for the saved file to be opened directly from iPad Documents). As forum members have noted elsewhere, other ‘saving’ methods (pressing the 'back' button when in the document, or selecting 'save' from the thumbnail in the AP opening screen) appear to be ineffective.  

So while I think Affinity Photo for iPad is great value and I’m having fun with the program, it’s far from perfect.

Some thoughts/questions:

• Is the ‘bugginess’ something we just have to put up with and work round?
  • Are the problems likely to be addressed in future updates?
  • Is the Mac version of AP more stable/reliable, and can it be used in conjunction with AP for iPad in a way that avoids crashing (though I don’t want to lose the benefit of the Pencil with iPad)?

Hi @Piro,

Welcome to the forums. 

On 5/22/2019 at 5:01 AM, Piro said:

My experience over the last couple of weeks is that once such collages reach a certain size/complexity, the file becomes corrupted somehow and AP crashes. This usually occurs after re-sizing or moving objects, or some other type of re-working. 

Can you describe the crash? What do you do when it crashes? Does it always crash during the same operation? 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

1 hour ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @Piro,

Welcome to the forums. 

Can you describe the crash? What do you do when it crashes? Does it always crash during the same operation? 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Hi Gabe

What normally happens is that the program closes. Then on reopening, the document can be selected from the AP opening screen, but the last session of editing has not been automatically saved. So all I have to re-do the work, or (assuming I've saved to the iPad documents folder as described in my post) open my latest saved version. Of course this is far from ideal, as I'm having to save every five minutes or so, and this can take a while. 

Some operations seem to produce result in crashes more than others. I may be wrong, but collages that contain a lot of duplicates of objects (each saved to individual layers) seem particularly vulnerable, when I'm working on that object/layer (re-sizing, moving, etc).

Many thanks

Peter

This seems to be quite vague. We would need something to work from so we can replicate and log this issue with our developers. A project file, a screen recording, some steps to follow. 

OK can you remind me of details of how/where to submit crashed files, and I'll send in when it happens again (sorry if this info

is available and I've missed it)