You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color Issues in Affinity Photo

Hey y'all!

So, I don't even know where to begin how to describe this, so I'll attach some pictures. 
Everything I bring in to develop on Affinity photo, the colors are off. If I open the images in any other software, the colors are more rich and vibrant (see in particular the grass in these images). Is there a setting I can adjust in affinity to make this adjustment? 

Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 9.14.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 9.14.57 PM.jpg

• Staff

Hi Jkizew,

Welcome to the forums :)

Please could you open the image in Affinity Photo then go to View > Assistant Manager and try unticking Enable Assistant then restart the app and try re opening the image to see if it matches your second image.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

I'm having the exact same issue. I tried the option you suggested and had no effect on the image colors.

I think I understand why you suggested because of the "Apply color reduction" but did not help.

Any other suggestions?
Camera RAW development is has much brighter colors, once I open the RAW file it has dimmed faded colors without making ANY adjustment.

FYI: Lumix G9

Thank you

Never mind.. I see this is an issue that has been going on for quite some time and it has not been corrected.

Raw File issues related to Panasonic DC G9 within this forum.

Having a Windows machine I am unable to change Raw Engine format so I'm basically stuck here.

Any suggestions on other software? It's a shame because I have been a long time Affinity user but this definitely stops me from using it.

As it is the monitor needs to render colors as close as possible and now having Affinity Photo subdue the entire image makes it very difficult to do anything but edit jpg's.

2 hours ago, cfyckt said:

Any suggestions on other software?

Have you tried the latest Affinity Photo customer beta, as suggested by @Woodkopf in the reply here to the topic you linked to in your last post above?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
6 hours ago, cfyckt said:

Sure haven't but I would love to try it. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Downloading it now; hope it works.

Please let us know how you get on :)

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

8 hours ago, R C-R said:

Have you tried the latest Affinity Photo customer beta, as suggested by @Woodkopf in the reply here to the topic you linked to in your last post above?

Hi RC-R, Thanks for the link to the older correspondence.

Affinity Photo, Designer, (1.10.4.1198); Sketchup

Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit; Ver. 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1566)

Intel i7-4790, 4 GHz; RAM:16GB; Graphics Card: ASUS (AMD) R9280-DC2T-3GD5.

Graphics Tablet: Huion Inspiroy HS610; Calibration: X-rite i1Display Pro

8 hours ago, cfyckt said:

Sure haven't but I would love to try it. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Downloading it now; hope it works.

I have two colour managed, (Xrite i1 Display Pro), Dell screens, U2415 & 2412M. I have taken a photo, with a 'Panasonic Lumix G9' of the two screens with the same image displayed at the same size.

The image is a RAW file, (taken with a 'Panasonic Lumix G9'), opened into both programs, without any further adjustment.

The left image is using Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.0.333 and the right is using version 1.6.5.123.  It actually looks more pronounced on the live screens, the right screen (1.6) is very dull, de-saturated.  The left hand photo displays better, however it would be useful to know how much the "Assistant Manager" has been altered between the two versions of software.

[I have reduced the size of the jpg file to enable uploading].

P1020039_1.jpg

Yes; that's exactly what is happening to me, I can open the RAW files with no issue but the colors are way subdued in the 1.6v. I have downloaded the Beta now and the image is much 'closer' in vivid colors to the original processed from RAW in the G9 although it still looks underexposed compared to the original but I can at least export files correctly.

14 minutes ago, cfyckt said:

Yes; that's exactly what is happening to me, I can open the RAW files with no issue but the colors are way subdued in the 1.6v. I have downloaded the Beta now and the image is much 'closer' in vivid colors to the original processed from RAW in the G9 although it still looks underexposed compared to the original but I can at least export files correctly.

The problem is knowing what the original RAW file looks like.  Most RAW editors will alter the image to 'improve' the basic look of it, otherwise users compare it to PS, PSE etc. which alter the basic RAW file.  Also photos viewed on the camera only show a JPG image, even if you have set your camera to RAW only,  (the jpg being part of the RAW file).

If the "Tone curve" is disabled in the 'Develop Assistant', the resulting image is dull & flat, but the colours are certainly improved from the 1.6 version, please see two images attached.

I hope that at least you will persevere with APh. and there are a lot of good people here willing to help.

Beta '333, disabling Tone curve.jpg

APh (Ver 1-6-5-123) , RAW with disabled Tone curve.jpg

• 1 year later...

hey Guys!

Ive been struggling with this in Affinity Photo for a while, looked through different threads and discussions and didnt find the solution :(

the Windows (10) preview of the Raw image is much more clear, and hmm fuller with details than the one loaded in Affinity. See the images attached - the one on the left is the Windows preivew one. 

Checked my settings and looks like Affinity by default matches what Windows has set up (screenshot attached). 

And too me its something that must be with Affinity, as the Windows preview looks much better..

any clue? Im close to giving up :(((

I use a Samsung laptop, Windows 10. 

Przechwytywanie2.PNG.59770c99ea59e24bb286b5022d4146c6.PNG

thanks in advance!

Przechwytywanie22222.PNG