You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

30 year pro - but new here! (crowd sourcing some answers)

Hello Affinity users....

I am sure you are hearing this a lot lately.   I am yet another slave trying to escape the Adobe masters hoping to cross this information desert into the land of those who do not rent software and seek true innovation.  Please my fellow travelers have mercy on this old pro as I enter my ten days of trial to see if I am worthy of the Affinity Stones....  

To make this work my Workflow Guide has told me I must find this list of capabilities to replace what my former master has put upon me.

(SIDE NOTE - I am already replacing Lightroom with Exposure X4 and love it so far.  Also I shoot mostly portraits and commercial images and care about speed and efficient workflow while shooting 5D3)

I hope you enjoyed my poetic plea for help.  If anyone can tell me straight up if there is anything on this list which Affinity can NOT do I would really appreciate it....

Photoshop Inventory to be replaced by Affinity

Dual Screens

Actions - High Key Helper, Flatten ALL, Burn/Dodge, Red Killer, White Teeth, Vignette, Hi Cont Tea Stain, Logo placement

Selections - Magnetic Lasso, Quick Selection, Polygonal,  Add, Subtract with shift/option,  select by color, Marquee

Brushes - Custom made Signature Brush and others

Clone Tools - Patch tools - Content Aware

Transform  - Free, Scale, Rotate, Skew, Distort, Perspective, Warp

Layers - New layer, copy layer,  layer modes, bevel emboss, stroke, masking reg and reverse

Text - variety like PS and vertical mode

Custom Shapes tool - arrows and stars, etc.

History - Snapshot, and History states

Plug ins - Portraiture, Topaz, Alien Skin, Digital Anarchy (primate), Noiseware, Aurora HDR

Sponge tool - Saturation/ Desaturate

Foreground/ Background color picker and easy swap

Blur and smudge tools

Gradient tool

Liquify - Push left tool with adjustments to size, pressure, density

Hand tool - via Space bar

I look forward to getting to learn more and get to know others in this community. Thanks

There is a trail version for Affinity: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/desktop/ Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Screen-Shot-2019-05-21-at-20-18-44.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

"Please my fellow travelers have mercy on this old pro as I enter my ten days of trial to see if I am worthy of the Affinity Stones...."

I think he already has the trial.  

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

Yes I already have the trial. I am currently working on getting my Plug-ins installed to test them.  I managed to get Topaz 5 and Noiseware and Realgrain 2 to work as plug ins.  HOWEVER it seems that Portraiture which is also by Imagenomic has red text in the preferences that says  "Requires Global Support"  and I can not seem to find how to fix this.  Any tips?

1 hour ago, Shawn Wright said:
  • Dual Screens
    • I would have thought Affinity is capable of using Dual screens.
  • Actions - High Key Helper, Flatten ALL, Burn/Dodge, Red Killer, White Teeth, Vignette, Hi Cont Tea Stain, Logo placement
    • Actions are not importable, there is a rudimentary macro feature but it isn't as powerful as PS Actions. 
  • Selections - Magnetic Lasso, Quick Selection, Polygonal,  Add, Subtract with shift/option,  select by color, Marquee
    • Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes with option/alt key, select by colour although not very good IMO, Yes. 
  • Brushes - Custom made Signature Brush and others
    • Yes, ABR file are importable, although some brushes can get corrupted. 
  • Clone Tools - Patch tools - Content Aware
    • Yes, Yes.
  • Transform  - Free, Scale, Rotate, Skew, Distort, Perspective, Warp
    • Yes to all
  • Layers - New layer, copy layer,  layer modes, bevel emboss, stroke, masking reg and reverse
    • yes to all and more.
  • Text - variety like PS and vertical mode
    • I don't think Affinity has vertical text like PS
  • Custom Shapes tool - arrows and stars, etc.
    • Yes, version Affinity Designer βeta 1.7.0. has as arrow heads on lines
  • History - Snapshot, and History states
    • yes and yes
  • Plug ins - Portraiture, Topaz, Alien Skin, Digital Anarchy (primate), Noiseware, Aurora HDR
  • Sponge tool - Saturation/ Desaturate
    • Yes
  • Foreground/ Background color picker and easy swap
    • Yes
  • Blur and smudge tools
    • Yes
  • Gradient tool
    • Yes
  • Liquify - Push left tool with adjustments to size, pressure, density
    • Hardness, size, opacity, speed and ramp
  • Hand tool - via Space bar
    • Yes

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Go to preferences, photoshop plugins and there should be a authorise global button that is active.
Screen-Shot-2019-05-21-at-20-36-34.png

3 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Go to preferences, photoshop plugins and there should be a authorise global button that is active.
Screen-Shot-2019-05-21-at-20-36-34.png

So I tried that but it was not clear what to do when after clicking the Authorize Global button.  I tried it and showed it both the original placement of the Imagenomic stand alone software and the plug in place for Adobe but neither seemed to work. I think it will work because the other sister programs by this company did work.

Thanks again for any advice.

2 minutes ago, Shawn Wright said:

So that really cuts to the chase..  very helpful.  Thanks

Your welcome, I'm sure if I have anything wrong I'll be pulled up on it :D but I think I've got most of it right.

Take a look at the plugins support page, for info on working plugins or issues: http://www.miguelboto.com/affinity/photo/plugins-support/

This is the help page for using plugins, the bit about authorisation is near the bottom: https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/pages/Filters/plugins.html

9 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Your welcome, I'm sure if I have anything wrong I'll be pulled up on it :D but I think I've got most of it right.

“There is a trail version”

Your welcome”

My apologies, Dex, but that invitation was too tempting to decline! :$

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

21 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Take a look at the plugins support page, for info on working plugins or issues: http://www.miguelboto.com/affinity/photo/plugins-support/

This is the help page for using plugins, the bit about authorisation is near the bottom: https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/pages/Filters/plugins.html

That second one was the ticket!  I was trying to hard and simply had to allow it to be applied recursively.   You sir have made my day and were super helpful.

Okay so Selections.....   In PS if I make a selection and want to ADD to it I just hit shift Key and start adding OR   Option Key to remove

In Affinity it seems I have to click add or subtract button near Mode: .   I have tried and tried to find keyboard short cut for this modifier of a section tool but I can not see it.  If I can adjust the keyboard to act like PS does I would but need suggestions.  This seems like a no brainer and I want to avoid extra clicks and use keyboard with mouse to be faster on selections or un selections.  

Thanks

If you have "Add" selected, you can simply extend the selection by moving the cursor inside it or create an additional selection by moving it elsewhere.  Keeping the Alt key depressed enables subtraction.  So far as I can see there's no way of toggling the Subtract mode.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

10 hours ago, Shawn Wright said:

Okay so Selections.....   In PS if I make a selection and want to ADD to it I just hit shift Key and start adding OR   Option Key to remove

In Affinity it seems I have to click add or subtract button near Mode: .   I have tried and tried to find keyboard short cut for this modifier of a section tool but I can not see it.  If I can adjust the keyboard to act like PS does I would but need suggestions.  This seems like a no brainer and I want to avoid extra clicks and use keyboard with mouse to be faster on selections or un selections.  

At the bottom of the workspace window is the Status Bar. With one of the selection tools selected, it will tell you which keyboard modifier keys you can use to temporarily change selection modes. It is dynamic -- it changes depending on the current Mode you have selected on the Context toolbar & which selection tool you are using.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Workspace -  so I like to have my tools spread across my two monitors but for some reason after my new Mac Mini goes to sleep and wakes up - the tools are all back onto the one screen.  This was a issue in PS 2019 also.   BUT my work around was to have a "Workspace" set up and then simply click Reset Workspace.

So does Affinity use some type of saving of where your palettes go on your workspace?

20 minutes ago, Shawn Wright said:

Workspace -  so I like to have my tools spread across my two monitors but for some reason after my new Mac Mini goes to sleep and wakes up - the tools are all back onto the one screen.  This was a issue in PS 2019 also.   BUT my work around was to have a "Workspace" set up and then simply click Reset Workspace.

So does Affinity use some type of saving of where your palettes go on your workspace?

This is a workaround for Windows. I note that you're on Mac, but perhaps something similar is possible?

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub