You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ruler/Measure Tool

I use

1/. the Rectangle Tool (U) to drag out a measurement, shown just above the cursor before you lift your finger off the mouse button.

2/. The Node Tool (P), which also displays the the measurement before you lift off the mouse button.

At this stage there is no direct equivalent to the Ruler Tool (I) on the Eyedropper Tool (I) in PS.

Asus ROG Strix G17 Notebook:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 3.80 GHz with Radeon Vega Graphics | 32GB DDR4 3200mHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870

If you're using regular sizes, you can set a grid and snapping (so no need to measure). Otherwise a non-snapped grid will still let you get a quick approximate measurement.

You can also set guides and snap to these. Guides also show absolute position (needs a bit of subtraction).

When I'm doing frequent same sizes, I'll sometimes set up a bunch of rectangles for each size and then snap to these. Or sometimes a 'square wave' with the pen tool (good for rescaling).

Rectangles are also a good way to transfer a measure from one place to another. You can even rotate a rectangle (and hold down shift for snapped 15' increments).

If you go to the Transform tab it will show you the position/size of selected rectangle (including after you have released it). You can set/change the rectangle size from here too.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.