You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how do I set up a tri fold brochure

So far I've just used publisher for single page flyers and editing PDF files.

But now I need to make a trifold brochure from scratch and I seem to be missing some info. I didn't spot any "templates", I don't see how to make a table with only 3 columns (not really what I want anyway).

I just need a way to quickly and easily divide my page in 3 even sections. Each section having independent text but having one graphic that will stretch across the top and another that will stretch across the bottom. So the graphic will go from page edge to page edge.

There is no 3 pages per spread solution for now in Publisher.

But it should be no problem at all to create the complete layout in one page and use guides to indicate the folds – what can be accomplished within minutes for a trifold. That is how I used to work for decades in packages design, where horizontally oriented fold aren’t enough at all, because you need vertically orientated folds as well.

Sample.jpg

They told us, to add multi fold spreads in a later version of Publisher. But now, we are in beta of the initial version, so …

Additionally: Since trifolds are really common, just create one template for reuse and you are done. Placing the guides is really simply using the Guides Manager (–> "View" menu)

One more hint: Using a drawing like the attached one, placing it  into the background of your document and lock it even simplifies the creation process.

a4t.pdf

6 hours ago, SigsCreations said:

So far I've just used publisher for single page flyers and editing PDF files.

But now I need to make a trifold brochure from scratch and I seem to be missing some info. I didn't spot any "templates", I don't see how to make a table with only 3 columns (not really what I want anyway).

I just need a way to quickly and easily divide my page in 3 even sections. Each section having independent text but having one graphic that will stretch across the top and another that will stretch across the bottom. So the graphic will go from page edge to page edge.

First of all, you can't have 3 equal sections / panels because it won't fold - the flap that folds in must be 1mm shorter.

The best way is to set-up landscape A4 and use guide lines to create 98mm + 99mm +100mm and 100mm + 99mm + 98mm. At least that's what I do and it's been accepted by all printers. I attach the sample file.

DL-trifold.afpub

Edited by Przemysław
I didn't see that mac_heibu attached a PDF with the same.

W11, Dell G5, i7, 64GB, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2600, Wacom Intuos Pro M + iPad Pro 2018.
 sakrajda.eu

Yes, I am aware that they are not quite equal, but with a margin on each panel it usually is fine as a guide.

I can use the guides to set it up, I just figured that this is such a common thing that there would be a template or an option to set up for tri fold. 

22 hours ago, SigsCreations said:

I just need a way to (...) page in 3 even sections.

15 hours ago, Przemysław said:

First of all, you can't have 3 equal sections / panels because it won't fold - the flap that folds in must be 1mm shorter. 

Hm? – Not if you want to fold it like Z ;)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1 only

13 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Hm? – Not if you want to fold it like Z ;)

That would be a Z-fold brochure. ‘Tri-fold’ usually refers to both flaps folding inwards over the centre panel, firstly the right-hand flap and secondly the left-hand flap, so — as @Przemysław has stated — the right-hand panel needs to be slightly narrower than the others.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

That would be a Z-fold brochure. ‘Tri-fold’ usually refers to both flaps folding inwards over the centre panel, firstly the right-hand flap and secondly the left-hand flap, so — as @Przemysław has stated — the right-hand panel needs to be slightly narrower than the others.

And on the backside, it is then the left which has the narrower panel.

I just use ruler guides. In an application such as AD, I use the margins to indicate the safe area.

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

That would be a Z-fold brochure. ‘Tri-fold’ usually refers to both flaps folding inwards over the centre panel,

Oh, thank you! – (and sorry, I haven't been aware about this technical term in English; I understood "Tri-fold" more literally only as "folded into 3" pages.)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1 only

And I suppose it should be mentioned that if one sets up a tri fold like most print establishments want with the thinner panel on the right for the first page, it is the inside of the tri fold one is working on. The second page is the outside/backside. 

Turn on Otto-correct™ and you'll be a 'grate spiller'

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 hours ago, Alfred said:

Preferably with “Accordion” spelled correctly!! :ph34r:

Looks somehow like error propagation, since this one here too named it the other way around ...

folding.thumb.jpg.dd87759f432ce025038e3e22ed14efef.jpg

In sofware dev we once learned painfully to not change code just by simple copy/paste, instead we tend to use better kind refactoring functionality.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

6 hours ago, mswift said:

like a lot of graphic designers, I’m not a great speller

production AD is supposed to correct spelling mistakes and other farts made by copy writers. It is a darn important job!

15 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Well I'm a big fan of more complex Origami like folding brochures ...

<pedantry>There’s a cut at step 3, so that’s Kirigami rather than Origami!</pedantry>

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)