You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer (beta) says it can't write file

• Staff

Have you tried saving to a different file/path, or deleting the existing file (if one already exists)?

The error is as it says - for some reason it cannot write to the file.  This does't appear to be a permissions issue (or read-only) - we usually have specific error messages for that - but I cannot be sure.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Did you start your machine?  We have seen some odd permissions issues on OSX in the past that were resolved by a full restart.  Also "Fix permissions" has worked for some people.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

I've had some error like this in the retail version 1.6 when having a lot of fonts activated, but it seems that something has changed in this beta for better because now i can have a lot more fonts active without any problems (Now i only use the beta version for work, because i can't use the retail it gives me the same error, but i know why and i can't deactivate fonts for it just to work, I can't have more than 2800 active)

1 hour ago, stevekennedyuk said:

Ahh, I do have a lot of fonts

Well then i think you should consider deactivating some of them and see how it goes. I Have now something like 3500 active without any problems, but i'm using Rightfont App to manage them.

24 minutes ago, stevekennedyuk said:

So writing files started working fine, now copying (an embedded SVG) from one AD doc to another causes it to crash - reproducible. Crash logs sent through Report ...

That problem is solved in the .14 RC1! You should download it and see how it performs for you.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.