You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.7.258 Unable to open files saved in version 1.7.331

Just now I use version 1.7.258 to open an edited .afdesign in version 1.7.331, with the software prompt "The file appears to be corrupted". Is this an accidental phenomenon?

Or is it true that 1.7.258 can't open a file saved in version 1.7.331?

Newer versions of the applications can usually - but not always - open files created with older versions but older versions cannot usually open files created with newer versions.

That's just a normal thing for most applications and not just the betas.

22 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Newer versions of the applications can usually - but not always - open files created with older versions but older versions cannot usually open files created with newer versions.

That's just a normal thing for most applications and not just the betas.

Well, You're right. 

As I couldn't help but use the 1.7 beta version at work, my working files had been 'kidnapped' and could no longer be opened with an older version. From then on I can only use the affinity designer beta versions. I didn't realize before that the structure of the files in version 1.7 would change. Now I pray that 1.7 of the official version will be able to open any previous version files!

The 1.7 versions – betas and commercial – should be able to open all files created with 1.6.x – and earlier – but there is no guarantee that files created with the 1.7 betas will be usable with the commercial release of 1.7. You might be lucky – and the developers may try hard to make that a possibility – but you shouldn’t bank on it.
Once the commercial release comes out I think it would be best to leave the files created with the betas behind and start afresh if at all possible. Otherwise you could leave yourself open to all kinds of weird little problems that the developers may not look at, since they were produced with software that the developers told everyone not to use for production purposes.

I think it would be best to leave the files created with the betas behind and start afresh if at all possible.

If that's the case, it's disastrous for me. Too many of my files are in the 1.7beta version. I saw Mark Ingram reacted your comment which makes me worry more about what you're saying is becoming a reality.

I do not require the official version to support all beta files. I only hope the official version can support the last beta files.

If all of your files are saved with the last Publisher beta that comes out then you might be lucky unless something relevant changes just prior to commercial release.
My recommendation would be – just prior to installing the commercial release – to export all of your documents as PDFs, maybe in various different PDF types/versions just in case.
Then at least you will have something you can import into the commercial release and won’t have as much work to do. Not an ideal situation but there’s nothing much else you can do other than hope for the best.

52 minutes ago, GarryP said:

If all of your files are saved with the last Publisher beta that comes out then you might be lucky unless something relevant changes just prior to commercial release.
My recommendation would be – just prior to installing the commercial release – to export all of your documents as PDFs, maybe in various different PDF types/versions just in case.
Then at least you will have something you can import into the commercial release and won’t have as much work to do. Not an ideal situation but there’s nothing much else you can do other than hope for the best.

Yeah, PDF is a backup solution. Thank you for caring about my problems from the beginning and for the advice you have provided. ❤

• Staff

You shouldn't be getting the message  "The file appears to be corrupted". If  anything it should say that it cannot open files created in future versions of the app.

Please upload a copy of the file so we can see what's happening.  Thanks.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

...then perhaps use the latest beta instead?

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

This issue will only affect files opened in older Betas.

Stick with the latest Beta, and don't try using earlier Betas than current.  The 1.6 App Store version should also be ok, but won't open 1.7 files.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.