You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Installation on Windows 10 Not Working

I too have a problem getting this software installed.  It's downloaded, but when I click on the .exe file, it simply will not launch the setup.  I was hoping to get away from Adobe, but this is not looking good as an investment when you can't even do a simple installation of the product.

Win10,  Home Version 10.0.17763.475, 64-bit, 24 GB RAM, 

• Staff

Welcome to the forum DaryIGS :)

Have you tried right clicking the .exe and selecting 'Run As Administrator'? Have you tried restarting the machine and trying again? I'm sure we can get the app installed for you.

Thanks,
Leigh

Nice suggestions Leigh.

This is not an Affinity issue it runs perfectly fine on both my new-er desktop any old MS Surface pro 3 with windows 10.  My suggestions would be to re-download the program, maybe it got interrupted?  Or  perhaps you do not have your .NET runtime set up correctly.  This was a good post to check for  .NET runtime errors

On 5/21/2019 at 9:02 PM, Guyon said:

My suggestions would be to re-download the program, maybe it got interrupted?

My suggestion would be to check the integrity of the downloaded installer file before redownloading. To do this, right-click the installer file in an Explorer window and choose ‘Properties’. In the Properties dialog, go to the Digital Signatures tab and click on an entry in the signature list to highlight that entry. The ‘Details’ button will become enabled, and when you press it and wait for several seconds you will get a message telling you whether or not the digital signature is OK. If it’s not OK, or if the Digital Signatures tab is missing, you have a corrupt or incomplete download and you need to download a fresh copy of the installer file (and if it is OK, the problem lies elsewhere and there’s no point in downloading the installer file all over again).

Edited by Alfred
Added note about missing tab

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

15 hours ago, johnleftwich said:

Thanks Leigh, Guyon and Alfred,

I  have discovered that I didn't allow the .exe file enough time to download. A pity there's not a 'time thingy' to indicate how long it is taking!

What browser do you use? Both Firefox and Chrome let you know when the download is complete.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

Took Patrick's suggestion and reloaded the download file. I did check the File Properties and it seems to be the correct/full file: 351,704, 336 bytes. However, when I attempt installation, I still get the "incorrect Windows version" message. As I said before, my Win10 info is: Windows 10, Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.318)

Not sure what my next step should be.

39 minutes ago, KLC1945 said:

Took Patrick's suggestion and reloaded the download file. I did check the File Properties and it seems to be the correct/full file: 351,704, 336 bytes. However, when I attempt installation, I still get the "incorrect Windows version" message. As I said before, my Win10 info is: Windows 10, Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.318)

Not sure what my next step should be.

Windows 10 1511 has been end-of-life and out of support since October 2017.  Only Windows 10 1803 and newer are still in support (excluding enterprise or education, where their support lifecycles are a bit longer).

I'm not sure why your machine hasn't updated to a newer version by itself, however you will need to update to a newer version of Windows 10.  I would try going to [Windows Settings > Update & Security] and clicking the 'Check for Updates' button.

35 minutes ago, KLC1945 said:

As I said before, my Win10 info is: Windows 10, Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.318)

That's a very old version of Windows 10. Ideally you would let Win 10 update to the latest version.

But if you don't want to do that for some reason, I think you should at least install an up-to-date version of the .NET Framework, at least (I think) 4.7.2 as having a downlevel versio of .NET may be causing your problem. This Microsoft Support page may help.

If you press and hold the Windows key, then press R, you'll get a "run" box. In that box type %temp%\AffinitySetup and press enter. You'll get a File Explorer window for the directory containing the setup logs. Find the directory with the date/time that corresponds to your failed installation attempt, open it, and you'll find two files: Setup.log and SetupUI.log

One of them will have error messages relevant to your problem (possibly but not always flagged by the word Error), which may reveal what the issue is.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
52 minutes ago, KLC1945 said:

As I said before, my Win10 info is: Windows 10, Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.318)

That is below the minimum supported version of Windows 10 (which is 1607)

https://affinity.serif.com/photo/full-feature-list/ and https://affinity.serif.com/designer/full-feature-list/

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, sitimms said:

I have version 1803 and its not working on mine

Have you checked the integrity of the download?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

@sitimms

Your quoted version is fully supported, so Windows version is not the cause of your problem. Please use your own thread to resolve this.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon