You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Leaving Artboard, Leaving Group...

Designer v1.7.0.12

Interesting conundrum... Not entirely sure if this is a bug in Designer or in my brain. Let's eliminate one out of two possibilities this way:

1. Make a new file with an artboard.
  2. Add 2 objects onto the artboard. E.g. Two squares. Group them.
  3. Select one object of that group via layers palette, or by clicking through to the object.
  4. Drag the object off the artboard. Take a look at the layers palette.
  5. The object that is outside artboard is not in the group anymore. Leaving artboard = leaving group.

OK? Now try this:

1. Undo the drag above and drag your objects far apart in the group but make sure that both objects are still on the artboard.
  2. Now select the group and position it so that one object is off the artboard.
  3. Now, the group is intact. Leaving artboard honours grouping.

There is inconsistence, right? To be honest, I am not sure which behavior is 'right' but I think that explicit groups should be honoured. Surely, dragging one object off the artboard can be interpreted as user's intent to take it out of the group but that would not be right since groups are not artboard-dependent entities and this behaviour could introduce some pain to well structured work files.

Alex

Mac Mini M1, mac OS Ventura

Affiñititos, how about a roadmap? (but with v2.1 efforts ... massive, tremendous improvement!)

• Staff

Hi Aleksandar Kovač,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

[EDITED] In Affinity Designer, artboards act as containers. If you move an object entirely outside them it will be also automatically removed from the respective artboard layer. The opposite is also true. If you move an object laying on the pasteboard area over an artboard it will be also moved to inside the respective artboard layer automatically. With that said this behaviour shouldn't break groups - I've logged this to be looked at. In the second case the object wasn't moved to outside the artboard layer because you were moving the whole group (not a single object) and part of the group was still over the artboard's canvas. In these cases Affinity Designer hides the parts laying outside the canvas/artboard but the object remain in the artboard layer.[/EDITED]

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.