You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity and Ingram Spark

Has anyone successfully used Publisher to make a PDF that works on IngramSpark? I really want to give up InDesign and move to Publisher, but it won't work unless I can make a PDF that IS will accept. They say they want PDF/X1‑a:2003 or PDF/X‑3 (2003). I don't see that on the drop down menu for exporting to PDF in Affinity. Is there a work around?

Thank you for your reply and my apologies for making a mistake in my original post. What I should have said is that Ingram Spark requires PDF/X-1a:2001 or PDF/X-3:2002. Neither of those are in the export dialog box for Affinity Publisher. So, does anyone know how I can make a pdf with those specifications using Publisher?

You’re welcome.
Unfortunately I can’t offer further help on your specific issue – it’s gone a bit too technical for me – but this page might come in handy: https://www.prepressure.com/pdf/basics/pdfx-3
Hopefully someone who has published with IngramSpark – maybe via another application since the Publisher beta isn’t meant for production use yet – can give you more, and better, information.

2 hours ago, MarioM said:

What I should have said is that Ingram Spark requires PDF/X-1a:2001 or PDF/X-3:2002. Neither of those are in the export dialog box for Affinity Publisher. So, does anyone know how I can make a pdf with those specifications using Publisher?

You can't:

• 3 weeks later...

Happy to report that Ingram Spark accepted my files using pdf/X-3:2003 format. So yay! I immediately cancelled my InDesign subscription and told Adobe I was leaving because I hated their ransomware business model and that I was going with Affinity Publisher instead.

10 hours ago, MarioM said:

Happy to report that Ingram Spark accepted my files using pdf/X-3:2003 format. So yay! I immediately cancelled my InDesign subscription and told Adobe I was leaving because I hated their ransomware business model and that I was going with Affinity Publisher instead.

Good to hear that. I also designed book covers  for Amazon Direct Publishing and they were all accepted, just in case you needed to work with that platform too.

• 2 months later...

MarioM saidHappy to report that Ingram Spark accepted my files using pdf/X-3:2003 format. So yay! I immediately cancelled my InDesign subscription and told Adobe I was leaving because I hated their ransomware business model and that I was going with Affinity Publisher instead.

Good to hear! What software did you use to create your book cover for IngramSpark? I was hoping to jump ship from PhotoShop to Affinity Photo/Designer, both of which I have, but IngramSpak also requires PDF/X-1a:2001 or PDF/X-3:2002 for the PDF book cover file.

Edited by GTech
Added quote

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just to follow on from with this thread. I am using Publisher and am struggling to create the correct PDF format for the inside pages of my book. I know it is possible as my cover design has been accepted. I am now saving my Publisher book in PDF/X-3:2003 and hope that does the trick.

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, sukh said:

SallyJTaylor, Did it work? I cannot get my interior text file to upload, although the cover uploaded fine. Any suggestions? Thank you!

MarioM, What did you do to make it work? Thank you!

Hi Sukh, it did work for me. I had to use an early pdf export file. I'll have to retrace my steps as I can't remember quite. Like you, I had more issues with the interior pages which I found very frustrating as Ingram Sparks never tell why the upload fails! I am busy today but will look into is again for you.