You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm looking to create line sheets and posters for a fashion company with product and lifestyle shots. I'd like to purchase designer because I think I'd be able to do more with it in the future, ex create new logos and stufff.. Which do I buy? 

For graphics, text, illustration and design composition, a vector drawing application such as AD is essential.

If your designs are to incorporate photographs or other bitmap images, then a bitmap app such as AP is equally important.

In addition, when you appreciate the fact that, not only do both Affinity apps dovetail together so well that workflow is greatly enhanced, and that they are also great value for money, you would be short-changing yourself by not acquiring both.

PS. I only discovered these Affinity apps a couple of months ago, prior to which I had being using older, but far more expensive alternatives, and I am quietly impressed by the range of functionality and implementation.

They are not perfect, however, but being relatively new products, many existing feature omissions and/or perceived glitches are certain to be addressed as and when upgrades are issued.

After all, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Hi, rutroh,,

As above, Designer is probably better suited to creating logos.  Photo has fine image manipulation tools for "lifestyle shots." For those tasks, they are very good tools.

But, to date neither serve as a front end for a database or spread sheet. No automatic updating from external data sources, such as a line sheet needs. At this point, updates of product specs and  images of current offerings must be done manually.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

52 minutes ago, gdenby said:

But, to date neither serve as a front end for a database or spread sheet. No automatic updating from external data sources, such as a line sheet needs. At this point, updates of product specs and  images of current offerings must be done manually.

Hi gdenby, thanks.. Didn't even know that something like that was an option, to automatically update a linesheet from external data sources. What programs let you do something like that? 

14 hours ago, rutroh said:

Hi gdenby, thanks.. Didn't even know that something like that was an option, to automatically update a linesheet from external data sources. What programs let you do something like that? 

I haven't done anything like that for some years, about 10 years ago, and am unfamiliar w. what is currently available. Back then, I was using a database that stored data on art objects, and thumbnail images of them. I made the thumbs in Ps. It was not much different than a merge file in something like Microsoft Word, which, if I recall correctly, had within it some of the capabilities of Microsofts Access database. 

On this forum, there have been a number of requests to allow Affinity files to be linked to data sources, such as spread sheets, and image cataloguing apps. I've seen a couple of posts about embedded files being used in the as yet unreleased Publisher.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet