You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Auto Hyphenation for Affinity Designer

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think Serif have said whether they plan to add that to Designer.

If you're willing to buy and work in Publisher for your projects that have enough text to need auto-hyphenation, that will give you a solution sooner than waiting for it in Designer. And Publisher really is better for projects with any significant amount of text.

Additionally, at some point (soon, I hope) Publisher will provide the Designer Persona. We don't know exactly how it will work, but it may provide access to most of the functions provided in the Designer Persona of the Designer application. If it does, then working in Publisher (as long as you also own Designer) should give you the benefits of both in one application, with a convenient workflow simply by switching Personas. And if you also own Photo, the Photo Persona in Publisher may give you the functionality of the Photo application, giving you most of the features of all three for working on publishing and layout projects.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Walt, I already use Affinity Publisher but I think that Affinity Designer must also have Auto-hyphenation for 2 reasons:

- There are many works that you can design with AD and they contain a lot of text (flyers, brochures, ...)
  - Now that Serif has added Auto-hyphenation to AP it sure is easier to add it to AD too.

I hope so!

Cheers!

7 hours ago, ramonbuzon said:

There are many works that you can design with AD and they contain a lot of text (flyers, brochures, ...)

True. But you can also design them with Publisher.

Perhaps Serif's plan is that Publisher should be used for that kind of layout work, and Designer should be used for art.

I have no idea what their plans are, but it would make sense to me.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

True. But you can also design them with Publisher.

Perhaps Serif's plan is that Publisher should be used for that kind of layout work, and Designer should be used for art.

I have no idea what their plans are, but it would make sense to me.

I appreciate your thoughts on the matter. As inexpensive as Affinity apps are, $50 and a separate app still seems a lot just for hyphenation. The lack of it in Designer is so inexplicable that your explanation may be the only logical reason though.

Can't help but wonder why there would be a paragraph panel with various options such as justification when you can't hyphenate a paragraph. Worse yet the text box brakes long words to the next line if you don't use the "no break" option on the specific word. 

it's broken and they need to fix it.

1 hour ago, ramonbuzon said:

Walt, its easy... the answer is not in Publisher, the answer must be in AD

No, the answer must be whatever Serif decides it will be. We do not get to decide how they design their applications and partition the functionality. That is purely their decision.

Your decision is whether to continue to use their products, and whether to buy the (inexpensive) complementary application that provides the function you want/need.

If I own both Designer and Publisher (and I will) and Publisher provides a function that Designer does not provide, I will use Publisher.

If you choose to stick with Designer, then you don't get the function. Or if you own both, but insist on doing something in Designer that you could more easily do in Publisher, then it's your decision to use an inefficient workflow.

-- Walt
PC:

Of course!  Serif is the one who decides how their own products should be.  We can only buy them and suggest some improvements because we are professionals and they develop their products for professionals.  I think they like to listen to us and that is why I will continue to send them new suggestions.  Maybe some will see it interesting.

• 11 months later...

I do a lot of package design and use Affinity Designer for it. These Packages are normally full of small text boxes and a Hyphenation feature is absolutely necessary for this type of work. And I believe Designer was made and is perfect for this kind of work. I find it very unreasonable to aregue that somebody should buy Publisher just to get the Hyphenation feature... I know, it's an old thread but I think its always good to keep hoping :).

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, rvsf said:

I need this! I already have publisher but I often use designer because it's more flexible using artboards, it's absurd that designer doesn't have it, I have to copy the text to publisher and bring it back to affinity designer, it's sad.

Just a couple of comments to help you while you wait.

1. You can use Artboards in Publisher, which may help. Hint: Switch to the Designer Persona before using File > New. Then make sure that "Use Master Page" is not checked, and you'll be able to check "Use Artboard"
  2. You can also use File > Edit in Publisher from Designer (it's best to Save first) so there's no need to copy the text. And then File > Edit in Designer if you do need to return to Designer later.

-- Walt
PC:

Just now, rvsf said:

I have to copy the text to publisher and bring it back to affinity designer, it's sad.

You don't have to copy text from AD to APu. Use Edit in Publisher, use the Hyphenation setting and switch back with Edit in Designer. However, in AD there are language / hyphenation settings in text styles, but AD does not make use of it. Senseless?

Walt beat me by the minute. :(

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

4 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

use the Hyphenation setting and switch back with Edit in Designer.

I may have misremembered, but I don't think that auto-hyphenation works in Designer at all, even if enabled in the document by Publisher. I can't check right now, though. I'll check later.

-- Walt
PC:

Thank you @walt.farrell @Joachim_L 

I've recorded this video following your instructions and i've been able to hyphenate my text by using both Publisher and Designer.

It seems like a workaround and I wonder if it will ever be possible to get that auto hyphenation also working in Designer and. then avoid these steps.

Best!

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Just a couple of comments to help you while you wait.

1. You can use Artboards in Publisher, which may help. Hint: Switch to the Designer Persona before using File > New. Then make sure that "Use Master Page" is not checked, and you'll be able to check "Use Artboard"
  2. You can also use File > Edit in Publisher from Designer (it's best to Save first) so there's no need to copy the text. And then File > Edit in Designer if you do need to return to Designer later.

Yes, the second point is good idea, is faster thanks!

13 minutes ago, rvsf said:

Yes, the second point is good idea, is faster thanks!

You're welcome.

I find approach 1 quite useful, too :) 

-- Walt
PC:

On 11/11/2021 at 5:06 AM, rvsf said:

I need this! I already have publisher but I often use designer because it's more flexible using artboards, it's absurd that designer doesn't have it, I have to copy the text to publisher and bring it back to affinity designer, it's sad.

Do you "copy" the text or simply when in Designer go to File, Edit in Publisher, (edit it), when finished in Publisher go to File, Edit in Designer?

No need to copy anything using this method.

Oops. walt.farrell already said this.

Edited by mizwizzy
Already posted by someone else

I layout multi page documents in Publisher as you would expect. 
These documents have self contained elements (that contain text and images) that are imported/placed into the main document. I always design these in Designer but I sometimes wonder if I should create these in Publisher.

I also never use Persona as I prefer to use the Edit in… function if I need the functionality of a different tool.

• 2 months later...

So basically they refuse to add this simple, essential feature to Designer in hopes that people will buy an entire new program just for that feature, and even then, the workflow sucks ass, because you gotta open an entirely different program each time you want to enable hyphenation for a new textbox. When they already have the code in place for hyphenation to work in Designer after being enabled in Publisher. Am I the only one that sees how insane that sounds? You literally need to prove you own another one of their programs to use a basic feature in the first program.

This kind of decisions are what steered me away from Adobe, because they ruined Illustrator AND set a subscription fee ontop of it. Pure corporate greed. Don't become Adobe, please.

And here's a heads up for you, Serif. No one will buy Publisher just because of that one feature. You have equal chances of putting people off your entire software suite as you are to make an additional software sale. Instead, try to make Publisher its own thing instead of "Designer with Hyphenation included, but not so designer-y". I'll give you an example - you already have pixel persona in Designer. So why would anyone buy Photo? Because it is its own thing, giving people raster options in depth. What you did with hyphenation would be like taking the brush tool away from the pixel persona in Designer. Would it make more people buy Photo? Probably not. Would it irritate the heck out of people? Surely.

Your approach will likely lead to more and more people pirating Publisher and not feeling bad about it because of your frankly stupid practices. Get your sh*t together please.