You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fog/Smoke/Clouds

6 minutes ago, Engine44 said:

Thank you.

You’re welcome. :)

I was able to import the second file but not the first.

The first set is vector, so it can only be used in Affinity Designer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

40 minutes ago, Engine44 said:

I couldn’t import it into Designer either.

In the iPad version of Designer, I’ve found that I need to be in the correct persona before I import a brush file. In the desktop version it simply isn’t available until you switch to the correct persona, but on iPad it doesn’t show up at all.

I’ve just imported the stroke brushes into AD on iPad, and they work fine for me.

Alfred spacer.png

On 5/20/2019 at 1:45 PM, Alfred said:

In the iPad version of Designer, I’ve found that I need to be in the correct persona before I import a brush file. In the desktop version it simply isn’t available until you switch to the correct persona, but on iPad it doesn’t show up at all.

I’ve just imported the stroke brushes into AD on iPad, and they work fine for me.

What is the correct persona on ipad?  Thanks.

31 minutes ago, Engine44 said:

What is the correct persona on ipad?  Thanks.

The smoke and fog brushes are raster brushes, so you need to be in the Pixel persona to import and use them. The stroke brushes are vector brushes, so the Vector persona is the correct persona for those.

Alfred spacer.png

19 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The smoke and fog brushes are raster brushes, so you need to be in the Pixel persona to import and use them. The stroke brushes are vector brushes, so the Vector persona is the correct persona for those.

Still can’t get the stroke brushes into AD on ipad.  Persona is Vector. It seems to try but but it doesn’t work.  There is no error message.

9 minutes ago, Engine44 said:

Still can’t get the stroke brushes into AD on ipad.  Persona is Vector. It seems to try but but it doesn’t work.  There is no error message.

Very odd. From what location are you trying to import them? I don’t know whether ‘On My iPad’ works for this: I imported my copies from cloud storage.

Alfred spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Very odd. From what location are you trying to import them? I don’t know whether ‘On My iPad’ works for this: I imported my copies from cloud storage.

After I click the link, I choose “Copy To Designer”.  Designer opens and I wait. Nothing happens.  I also copied to Documents on my ipad.  Then I tried to send the file to Designer.  Same thing happens.

Here’s what works for me:

1. Tap on the link

2. Tap on ‘More...’ (not ‘Open in “Designer”’)

3. Copy to any available cloud storage location

4. In the Vector persona in AD, display the Brushes Studio

5. Tap on the ‘hamburger’ menu icon

6. Choose ‘Import Brushes...’

7. Browse to the location chosen at step 3

8. Tap on the .afbrushes file

Alfred spacer.png

30 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Here’s what works for me:

1. Tap on the link

2. Tap on ‘More...’ (not ‘Open in “Designer”’)

3. Copy to any available cloud storage location

4. In the Vector persona in AD, display the Brushes Studio

5. Tap on the ‘hamburger’ menu icon

6. Choose ‘Import Brushes...’

7. Browse to the location chosen at step 3

8. Tap on the .afbrushes file

Unfortunately, didn’t work but I wasn’t able to do exactly as you wrote. In order to see and open the hamburger, a file has to be open. I browsed to the storage location: Dropbox.  Clicked on file and had to choose an action. Clicked Export.  Chose “Copy To Designer”.  Error message says can’t export to Designer because there is an open file.  Closed the file in Designer.  Exported.  Designer comes up but nothing happens.

33 minutes ago, Engine44 said:

Unfortunately, didn’t work but I wasn’t able to do exactly as you wrote. In order to see and open the hamburger, a file has to be open. I browsed to the storage location: Dropbox.  Clicked on file and had to choose an action. Clicked Export.  Chose “Copy To Designer”.  Error message says can’t export to Designer because there is an open file.  Closed the file in Designer.  Exported.  Designer comes up but nothing happens.

Downloading from my Dropbox account works fine for me. When I browse to the folder at step 7 and then tap on the file at step 8, the file is immediately imported without my having to choose a further action.

I don’t understand the ‘Export’ step in your description. Please post some screenshots.

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Downloading from my Dropbox account works fine for me. When I browse to the folder at step 7 and then tap on the file at step 8, the file is immediately imported without my having to choose a further action.

I don’t understand the ‘Export’ step in your description. Please post some screenshots.

I finally got it. I was playing around and it finally worked.  I don’t know exactly what I did.  It may have been related to using the Dropbox web service as opposed to their ipad app.  Anyway, thanks for your help. Things can be tricky sometimes.  This is a great forum.

8 minutes ago, Engine44 said:

I finally got it. I was playing around and it finally worked.  I don’t know exactly what I did.  It may have been related to using the Dropbox web service as opposed to their ipad app.  Anyway, thanks for your help. Things can be tricky sometimes.  This is a great forum.

Thanks for the update, @Engine44. I’m glad you got there eventually, but I’m sorry it was such a struggle for you!

Alfred spacer.png

6 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Thanks for the update, @Engine44. I’m glad you got there eventually, but sorry it was such a struggle for you!

LOL. Computers and software can be a struggle at times.  But we all keep struggling because the positives outweigh the negatives.  I hope I can help you in the future. Thanks, again.

• 2 years later...