You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF X-1 file bleed (Designer BETA v1.7.0.331)

PDF X-1 file exported by Designer BETA v1.7.0.331 does not show artwork bleeding into bleed areas like PDF X-1 files exported by current retail version.

This PDF X-1 export issue happens when exporting from both "Designer" and "Export" personas.

(Bleed to 0.125 inch.)

Designer beta report_20190519[17b].png

What I do: Document design/typesetting; Stock photo images; Digital art | Apps I use: Publisher, Photo, Designer | My PC: AMD Ryzen 7 4700U; 16.0GB RAM; Win 10 Home (21H2)

In my experience,. that happens when you select "Include crop marks" [1] but you don't select "Include bleed" [2]:

image.png.818b55a9bb196194eadd7a864be98ef2.png

image.png.85b2bf1ff23d4f439e0e3e6cc6af7c3c.png

This how it looks like when exported, with the crop marks and the bleed:

image.thumb.png.86d837112c42ee1c00cca9f57969596d.png

but maybe I'm doing something different to what's your case. Please let me know if this worked for you.

Best regards!

To confirm, in part,  @lowerider experience. (AD 1.7.0.12)

Attached are 2 pdfs. The same preset is chosen (PDF/X-1a:2003) and then 'Include printer marks' checked. No other options touched.

PDF from Designer persona export includes bleed, while one from Export persona does not.

Artboard1 export persona.pdf

Artboard1 designer persona.pdf

EDIT: Pardon! This is Windows beta thread while I am experiencing the problem on Mac beta. I do not have Win machine to ascertain whether this happens on Win, too.

Edited by Aleksandar Kovač
Realized that the post is in Win Beta forum, not Mac Beta.

Alex

Mac Mini M1, mac OS Ventura

Affiñititos, how about a roadmap? (but with v2.1 efforts ... massive, tremendous improvement!)

Now that I've tested this (still in .331), I noticed something more. A glitch in the "Export Options" Panel:

Even more, I couln't get any printer marks from the Export Persona. I'll make new tests in the latest Beta.

Best regards!

I was able to get artwork to bleed into the bleed area using the current beta's Designer Persona (v1.7.0.333). I overlooked a couple of the details mentioned in earlier posts. However, that seems to work only for individual arboards.

One of the things I use Affinity Designer for is designing and laying out book covers. I create three artboards: front cover, spine, and back cover...

1296752334_bookcoverlayoutinDesigner.png.3dbd7b92d1aa4cd868afa7e1ac55d9e7.png

I then create a single PDF X-1 file from the three artboards for commercial printing. I use the method/steps described in this tutorial video (begins at about the 3:30 time):

"Artboards: Exporting and Printing (Affinity Designer)"
https://youtu.be/AMtJNv1rZdY?t=210

This method works as expected in the current stable version (v1.6.5.135) I use...

1178914392_Ex_bookcover_1.6.5.135_exppersona.thumb.png.8050d330bf52a470b55229dad6062b27.png

The method/steps shown in the tutorial video do not seem to result in the expected PDF X-1 file with the current beta (v1.7.0.333)...

54856868_Ex_bookcover_1.7.0.333_exppersona.thumb.png.94d931600e4327c2b8753da3fbc7b9db.png

I've attached an example "book cover" Affinity Designer file [Example_book cover_1.6.5.135.afdesign] created with v1.6.5.135. Follow the steps in the above-mentioned video tutorial using v1.6.5.135. Then open a copy of the example book cover Affinity Designer file in the current beta release (v1.7.0.333) and repeat the steps in the video tutorial.

What I do: Document design/typesetting; Stock photo images; Digital art | Apps I use: Publisher, Photo, Designer | My PC: AMD Ryzen 7 4700U; 16.0GB RAM; Win 10 Home (21H2)

See that the right export should be done this way, like in the picture!

if I have an A4 210 + 297mm document and a 5 mm margin for each side, when I export the document with the crop marks, the cut marks must adapt to the size of the bleed, then export a PDF with a total size of 220x307mm without any further blank space .

If the Typographer gives me very precise spaces (table dimension + bleed) I must respect that measurement and not give it a larger PDF which then will have to cut the excess white part, because it will most likely use larger sheets in the machine and therefore others will be placed side by side. pages...

In this thing Adobe is wrong too! I never used to add the marks in the PDF export, I always put them by hand or with a JSX plug-in that did this, but still remaining within the limits imposed by the bleed.

Senza titolo.jpg

The current beta release (1.7.0.350 RC1) still does not properly export multi-artboard PDF/X-1 files for commercial print. The "printers marks" are created but no bleed area is created.

1092466825_report20190528_illustration17b.thumb.png.4226133300d48bcca8350f0d6f0ae23d.png

When comparing the "Export Persona" export options of the stable release (1.6.5.135) with the current beta, I see no "Include bleed" option in the beta. Could this be the reason why no bleed is created in the beta's multi-artboard PDF/X-1 file?

26 minutes ago, VolkerMB said:

The option to include bleed is still available but has been moved to the main export dialogue (sorry for the screenshot being German - but you get the idea).

Unfortunately, this dialog is skipped when you export slices and so no way to include bleeds at the moment. This only happens when you export slices.

The developers have acknowledged this bug a while back.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

1 hour ago, VolkerMB said:

The option to include bleed is still available but has been moved to the main export dialogue (sorry for the screenshot being German - but you get the idea).

export_bleed.png

The "Include bleed" ("Inklusive Abschnittbereiche") has always been available in the "Export Options" of the "Draw Persona" in both the stable and current beta release. But this setting only affects PDF exports from the Draw Persona.

I often use the Draw persona's "Include bleed" setting to export simple single artboards. When I design and layout things like book covers, I create front, spine, and back artboards aligned together. To create a single PDF file from this type of layout, I use the Export persona PDF settings. This is where the missing "Include bleed" setting is problematic.

Regarding your screenshot being in German...

No problem as far as I'm concerned. In den 90er Jahren arbeitete ich in Deutschland für eine kleine Firma im Bereich Druckvorstufe.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Seneca said:

Unfortunately, this dialog is skipped when you export slices and so no way to include bleeds at the moment. This only happens when you export slices.

The developers have acknowledged this bug a while back.

Good to know that the developers are aware of this issue. For what I've used Designer for, PDF bleeds from the Export persona are critical to my projects.

• 2 weeks later...

I've installed the current 1.7 retail release and I see that the issue discussed in this thread was not resolved.

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding Affinity Designer Windows Customer Beta 1.7.2.414...

There is still no "include bleed" option in the "Export Persona" when exporting PDF/X files. This results in no artwork in the generated PDF/X file extending beyond the crop marks into the bleed area.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.