You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Make Select > Grow/Shrink option "sticky"

Part of my workflow for doing flat fills on comics and the like is to do a magic-wand selection and then to consistently grow my selection by a fixed amount to "bleed" into the line art, usually by 3 px or so. Every time I open the 'grow / shrink' menu it's reset back to 0, however. I would love a way to always grow by the same amount, either by defining a macro that does it by a specific amount or by having the last amount stay active in the dialog box which comes up.

Additionally, it would be nice if I could use the tab key or similar to change the focus within the dialog box; currently tab just toggles the UI visibility.

6 hours ago, _fluffy said:

always grow by the same amount, either by defining a macro that does it by a specific amount

Try OS macro, like https://www.autohotkey.com

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

18 hours ago, _fluffy said:

Part of my workflow for doing flat fills on comics and the like is to do a magic-wand selection and then to consistently grow my selection by a fixed amount to "bleed" into the line art, usually by 3 px or so. Every time I open the 'grow / shrink' menu it's reset back to 0, however. I would love a way to always grow by the same amount, either by defining a macro that does it by a specific amount or by having the last amount stay active in the dialog box which comes up.

Additionally, it would be nice if I could use the tab key or similar to change the focus within the dialog box; currently tab just toggles the UI visibility.

I think more sticky settings was something that was on the roadmap to be implemented, but I don’t know the current status. You mentioned macros; if you go to [View > Studio] and enable the ‘Macro’ and ‘Library’ panels, you should be able to record a macro in Affinity Photo to grow the selection by say 3px and then save it in the macro library for later use.

001.thumb.png.94acc177b313d1db522ca4d09d82fd30.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 11:40 PM, Pšenda said:

Try OS macro, like https://www.autohotkey.com

I should have mentioned, I'm on MacOS.

On 5/20/2019 at 5:14 AM, - S - said:

I think more sticky settings was something that was on the roadmap to be implemented, but I don’t know the current status. You mentioned macros; if you go to [View > Studio] and enable the ‘Macro’ and ‘Library’ panels, you should be able to record a macro in Affinity Photo to grow the selection by say 3px and then save it in the macro library for later use.

Thanks, that seems like the right direction. Is there a way to bind a macro to a shortcut key? I'm not finding it, if so, and the whole point to my request was to make this more keyboard-accessible.