You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 1.7.0.312 - line endings don't change when I expand the text frame

I have a text frame that needs to change shape, from narrow to wide column. I can change the shape, but have to manually remove line endings. I'm sure this is not intended in a professional product. 

As a work-around, I copy the text into Notepad, clean up the words that are now not separated by a space and the line endings that are not where they are needed. 

Presumably, this is a buy you will fix!

Aff Pub won't remove line endings.gif

​Sharon

Guys, thanks for responding!

Wosven, I did check that there was no margin inside the Publisher text frame that caused it. But that would have been a possibility.

GarryP, I'd like to know where the line breaks came from. My process is to copy the text out of another source, like a web page, and copy it into Notepad. (Now I'm trying to remember exactly what I did...) I use Notepad to get rid of unwanted formatting, but it probably puts in characters that create line breaks, when I tell it to wrap the text so it doesn't flow off screen. Maybe the problem is that Notepad is creating invisible line break characters, and when I copy from Notepad to Publisher, the line breaks come along. I'll try removing the "wrap text" setting in Notepad.

Thank you both!

​Sharon

53 minutes ago, CatLady said:

I use Notepad to get rid of unwanted formatting, but it probably puts in characters that create line breaks, when I tell it to wrap the text so it doesn't flow off screen. Maybe the problem is that Notepad is creating invisible line break characters, and when I copy from Notepad to Publisher, the line breaks come along. I'll try removing the "wrap text" setting in Notepad.

Yes, the Wrap Text can cause problems if you copy/paste from the Notepad window into another application.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Unless you've set your text editor to cut the lines at 80 characters or anotjer specified number, it shouldn't do it. It was used long ago for text, html, etc. files that were displayed on consoles, but it's nor enabled by default and usually the changes are made when saving the files.

You should display hidden characters in both your text editor and APub. It's an usual way to avoid bad surprises :)

The “Word Wrap” feature of Notepad should not introduce any extra formatting into the text itself. (I have never seen it do this.) It should only change how the text looks – visually, and only within Notepad itself – rather than making any changes to the actual text. Also, any visual line breaks that Notepad uses to display the text as wrapped should not be copied/transferred to other applications.

One thing that I spotted on the supplied image was that the last line was justified centrally within the horizontal extent of the text above it. If line breaks were present on the previous lines this would not happen normally because the last line would be justified centrally according to the width of the text frame and not the text above the centrally-justified text.

One thing that would cause this effect, as mentioned by Wosven early on, is if the text frame has a large right margin. Another thing that could cause it is if an invisible object is sitting to the right of the text – under the right-hand side of the text frame containing the text – which has Text Wrap set to Square or Tight. It’s worth checking that this isn’t the case.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.