You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File Size/Resolution limits and capabilities of iPad App

I’ve got a friend who works with huge files, or at least seem so to me. I regularly work with files that are 10 to 50mb. He usually works with photos on his MacPro that are 500mb to 1 gig using an app called Capture One. But he has shown an interest in using an iPad for editing away from his desk. I’ll check in with him for more details on the files but thought I might at least get an idea as to what the max limit is for an iPad running Affinity Photo. I suspect his needs go beyond what the current hardware can handle. 

Web & Graphic Design @ beardyguycreative.com

Kit: iPad Pro 12.9" and 2012 MacMini

Capture One is a high-end very heavy duty RAW processor for medium format cameras.

I also have lots of very large files - 4GB to 10GB.  I didn’t mind the wait while editing the images themselves, but changing metadata with Bridge became a serious issue.

Now I do all the processing for those files on my MBP which has a large SSD.  It’s an I/O problem, not processing power; it can take many, many minutes to read or write one of these files.  I understand from an Apple employee that the newest iPad’s have more processing power than my MBP (~2016 or thereabouts).

I think your friend would be wise to do some experiments before committing to any expenditure.

Regards

Lionel