You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Behaviour change: Renaming symbols

@Sean P

With reference to my earlier post… 
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/36293-by-design-ad-symbol-name-does-not-update-propogate-on-rename

The behaviour regarding symbol names seems to have changed.

1. Create a shape
2. Make it into a symbol
3. Duplicate the symbol a number of times
4. Rename one instance of the symbol

Result: All instances of the symbol adopt the new name.

5. Rename the symbol via the Symbols Panel

Result: none of the symbol instances are renamed.

6. Drag several instances of the symbol from the Symbol Panel to the canvas
7. Rename one of the new instances

Result: all of the new instances are renamed, but not the original set of symbols.

---

Update: Mouse over tool-tip now shows "Name" as something that can be un-synced with symbols, so I guess that this is 'by design'?

However, if that is the case then the behaviour seems inconsistent to me. Renaming the symbol in the Symbols Panel should update the name of all instances where the Name property has not been un-synced.

Also, this is the only property that can be un-synced without first toggling the Sync button in the panel. This is good from ease of use perspective, but is inconsistent with default behaviour.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.