You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Linking images and growing size of document

I have problems with the size you get once you prepare a document with images. A ten-page document with images at 300dpi weighs over 180MB, yet the same document in InDesign weighs only 6MB. In both cases the images were linked, but AFPUB seems to include a copy inside the document as well (I'm not embedding).

The big question, however, will AFPUB be useful for professional graphic designers to create magazines, catalogues, artbooks, etc., especially when using hi-res images inside (not lo-res web images)? If such is the case, here are a couple issues that need considering:

1. Linking images make the file too heavy. Consider the example I gave above, and then think of an 88 or more pages magazine/book, etc.

2. Not being able to import into a single document other documents prepared separately.

Also, although I haven't figured it out yet, can you design a cover, a squarebound one, including the spine? Couldn't find any indication when creating a new document. Seems everythings is for what goes inside and not what covers it.

1. This was addressed in beta 330 released on Wednesday.  Unfortunately that beta had to be withdrawn (Friday?) due to a problem found with it.  I would hope that this will be resolved in the next one or two betas released.  On testing beta 330 users had previously reported massive file size savings when images were linked.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/85446-affinity-publisher-public-beta-170330-withdrawn/

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks, but I'm actually using 312, which in the thread you sent said it should be downloaded in place of 330. I haven't used 330, and began with 312. Weight issue, as I said in my previous mesage, is also present there.

Last part of my message, anyone know as to how to do a cover with a spine?

Create a new document the size of front and back cover, plus the spine. Place guides to mark where the spine comes.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Just one reminder/comment: all Publisher discussions should be in the Publisher Beta Forums, not in the regular forums. That's the only way to be sure the appropriate Serif Staff see them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Sorry if I just pointed out the obvious.

I should have added that, what I suspect you really need is the ability to create a three page spread. This isn't currently possible, but has been requested a few times.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad