When Publisher for Desktop warns of a text overflow during an export, is it possible for the software to identify which box(s) is causing the error?

It does that by highlighting the relevant boxes with red dots, assuming you have View > Show Text Flow enabled. I agree that it could be more convenient to show a list of some kind, but given that in a large document there could potentially be dozens, or hundreds, of frames to fix, that could be difficult.

It also tells you, of course, when you're editing the text and frames, and that's the best time to fix it :)

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.399 Beta

57 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I agree that it could be more convenient to show a list of some kind, but given that in a large document there could potentially be dozens, or hundreds, of frames to fix, that could be difficult.

List sounds like text. – Instead a visual overview: Why not having that red dot at the Pages Panel icons, too? One for each affected page would be enough to make you check that page.

macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

Walt,

Thanks for your response. Someone else pointed out the View > Show Text Flow option for me which I hadn't realised needed to be selected. In my case it didn't help that the overflowing text was actually on a Master Page that I had altered for this document only.:)