You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rotate the image canvas prior to cropping

I am completely new to Affinity Photo, having used Corel Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop Elements previously.

How do I partially rotate the image canvas by a specified fraction of a degree prior to cropping?

Regards, aramin

• Staff

Hi faaramin,

Welcome to the forums.

From the View menu, select Rotate Left or Rotate Right, the canvas will be rotated in 15 degree increments. If you have a Trackpad you can use a gesture to perform the same task, the feature needs to be enabled in Preferences > Tools.

6 hours ago, faaramin said:

How do I partially rotate the image canvas by a specified fraction of a degree prior to cropping?

I do not know if you can rotate crop tool numerically but at least you can press CMD (or select straighten from Context toolbar) and rotate manually while checking the angle in info palette.

Once your image is loaded, in the right pane you see your tools, etc. Find the row of small tabs marked Basic, Lens, Details, Tones and Overlays. Click on Lens. Now find the Rotation slider and corresponding digital spin box. Use the spin box UP (clockwise) or DOWN (counter clockwise) in 1/10th degree steps to rotate your image.

I think the OP means rotate the image prior to cropping, In Photo Persona there is no informational feedback, no display of degree's while rotating, no direct input for a specified rotation adjustment, it's purely by eye, so you end up repeatedly using the straighten option until it looks correct, a tad laborious.  

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 hours ago, gewb said:

Once your image is loaded, in the right pane you see your tools, etc. Find the row of small tabs marked Basic, Lens, Details, Tones and Overlays. Click on Lens. Now find the Rotation slider and corresponding digital spin box. Use the spin box UP (clockwise) or DOWN (counter clockwise) in 1/10th degree steps to rotate your image.

Note: this is in the Develop Persona.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

Now there are 3 different contexts and 3 different answers :-D Please phrase your questions accurately :-D

But the OP’s question does very accurately — or rather, precisely ;) — ask:

18 hours ago, faaramin said:

I’m slightly puzzled by the “partially rotate” reference, but the requirement that it should be “by a specified fraction of a degree” couldn’t be clearer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 5/19/2019 at 12:29 AM, Lee D said:

Hi faaramin,طراحی سایت

Welcome to the forums.

From the View menu, select Rotate Left or Rotate Right, the canvas will be rotated in 15 degree increments. If you have a Trackpad you can use a gesture to perform the same task, the feature needs to be enabled in Preferences > Tools. 

Hello
I've done all the steps
Thank you so much for your advice

Edited by faaramin

On 5/19/2019 at 4:40 AM, firstdefence said:

I think the OP means rotate the image prior to cropping, In Photo Persona there is no informational feedback, no display of degree's while rotating, no direct input for a specified rotation adjustment, it's purely by eye, so you end up repeatedly using the straighten option until it looks correct, a tad laborious.  

The Transform panel can be used for rotation, and has in input field to specify the exact amount if you know it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

The Transform panel can be used for rotation, and has in input field to specify the exact amount if you know it.

Not during cropping, that must be done prior to selecting the crop tool

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

Not during cropping, that must be done prior to selecting the crop tool

Good point.

But if done prior to cropping, you have the input field. You can also use the move tool and drag the rotation handle and the Transform panel will give you the feedback on the number of degrees you've rotated.

(This does require, of course, unlocking the background layer to allow it to be moved.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1