You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi everyone, I've scoured these forums and searched online but I cannot figure this out. I've traced some vintage oil co logos that I'd like to upload to use in the Playstation game, Gran Turismo. The file requirement is svg with a maximum size of 15Kb. I've attached an example of what I've done below - it's very straight forward and not complex in any way. The lowest I can get the svg file down to is around 46Kb unless I flatten it. When flattened, I can get it under the 15Kb requirement, but Sony's uploader then says the svg file is invalid. They say they require v1 or v1.1 - does AD comply in this department? I've reduced the image size down to so small AD struggles to even find it sometimes. Even if I deconstruct the Image, I still can't get below 16Kb! There are plenty of far more advanced graphics and decals than mine on display in the game. All I've done is trace an image in vector and the tried to export it as an svg file and as you can see in the image below - there are no gradients or anything fancy. Does anybody have any advice - am I missing something? Any help would be fantastic. Cheers... Michael.

Vintage Castrol logo.png

Is the "castrol" duplicated and offset for the shadow? If so there's a lot of detail in the hidden parts that could be trimmed away. Draw some straight edged shapes and subtract them from those hidden areas.

If you want to go all out, define the "castrol" object as a symbol and put it in the svg with a "use" tag. Don't think that's possible in Designer, you would have to manually edit the file.

Hi, iamwoger,

Did you use an autotrace utility. The "Casterol" has a really irregular edge, which can happen w. tracers. They can make about a bazillion nodes. If the tracer doesn't have a node reduction or optimization routine, there may be hundreds of nodes that must be cleaned away manually.

Or, is it a bitmap image enclosed in a vector shape, w. the .svg format allows. If so, there may be data for every pixel, which would bulk the file up.

AD exports .svg 1.1

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hi guys - thanks sooo much for your advice. BofG - yes, I took the Castrol written in red, made a few offset duplicates and added them altogether to make the shadow.  The image is ragged because it's a copy of a real vintage sign. I thought there might be a lot of the size in the shadow but I can't think of a better way to get the same result. What puzzles me most is this is so simplistic compared to the designs people are uploading - I have no idea how they manage to get it in under 15KB!? Gdenby - I traced it in AD myself. I wanted it to be as close to the original as possible so there are a few nodes as you rightly say. I'm now trying to see if I can upload it in chunks to assemble in game. But just the Castrol shadow in itself is over 17KB! Thanks so much for trying to help me guys. I really appreciate it.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I found a pic of an old sign, and ran it thru a tracer. Ended up w. a file above 50K. Spent a good bit of time deleting nodes, and adjusting curves. Eventually managed to get an .svg that was 14.6 Kb. But it had almost none of the lumpy character that the trace had from the original image. To get the file down from 16 Kb to under 15 was a matter of deleting every excess node I could find. "Oh, look, there are 2 nodes almost on top of one another. And there's three. delete, delete."

And I noticed that the export for the .svg had to be for web use. Other types made bigger files.

My guess is that even a manual trace of an irregular form is going to make something too big. I've looked at various versions of what I worked on, and it really comes down to the number of nodes defined. Smooth curves don't need near as many points to record.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

The most size optimized would probably be to recode the whole in SVG manually. - With a tracer one has afterwards to replace the text (with slightly skewed Arial black etc.) and possibly to reduce traced curves to a minimum too. In a try I can get out of a usual tracing without any further curve optimizations or node reducement, but mentioned text changes ~10K as a AD saved SVG.

castrol_ad.jpg.fcb1ad3893ac670a03f1444a0816acfd.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

With a slightly different AD curve layout and the default vectorized text (...but inside AD hidden REGD. & (PATENTED) text when exported as SVG here) I got instead 12K from AD when exported as a SVG.

AD_another_svg.jpg.8399bdfca7b4fab13cd9eb41a7c69fed.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Wow - I'm just blown away. BofG, gdenby, firstdefence, v_kyr - thank you all so much for your generosity of spirit. To even go go so far as to recreate what I'm trying to achieve has just left me speechless. I'm so grateful. Have a great day all. I'm off to go study the AD files. Cheers... Michael.

Hi - just an update - here’s the decal by firstdefence in situ on a virtual Jag XJ13 in Gran Turismo. Thanks everybody for contributing. You’ve collectively improved my understanding of this brilliant app - my node count has diminished considerably! Brilliant people on this forum. Thanks so much. :) 

F871B678-4EFB-4FF9-9A14-D4DEF5859515.jpeg

54B60C4F-F5B2-4A5E-AA38-CB80D4BB501F.jpeg

Looking awesome icons8-facebook_like.png.c2a0724bbb5c85c0133bcc8428657915.png nice to see the end product. Beautiful car.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Beautiful car.

Has Jaguar ever made one that wasn't? :35_thinking:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

21 minutes ago, R C-R said:

The Ford designed cars they built were ... well...  not Jags. Actual Jaguars were are great looking.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

34 minutes ago, R C-R said:

9 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

The Ford designed cars they built were ... well...  not Jags. Actual Jaguars were are great looking.

How about the 1976 Jaguar XJ-S? It wasn't pretty. And there are others that departed from what I (at least) consider ugly.

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

1976 Jaguar XJ-S

They are very 70's, they are a bit like a stretched dolomite sprint o.O

6 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

They are very 70's, they are a bit like a stretched dolomite sprint o.O

Many/most '70s cars suffered from the same fate...that applies to many/most cars in the '80s as well. Ugly period for vehicle manufacturers.

5 hours ago, MikeW said:

How about the 1976 Jaguar XJ-S?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder & all that, but I never thought the XJ-S was an ugly car. Its biggest stylistic 'sin' was that it was widely considered to be a  unworthy successor to the iconic E-Type ... but there were people who thought that various versions of the E-Type were ugly too, like the 2+2 coupe or anything that departed even slightly from the original series one design, like the switch to headlights without covers to meet U.S. design regulations, etc.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder & all that, but I never thought the XJ-S was an ugly car. Its biggest stylistic 'sin' was that it was widely considered to be a  unworthy successor to the iconic E-Type ... but there were people who thought that various versions of the E-Type were ugly too, like the 2+2 coupe or anything that departed even slightly from the original series one design, like the switch to headlights without covers to meet U.S. design regulations, etc.

Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I would also add the model that was ugly enough production wasn't for very long because few would purchase it, the two-seat XJ-SC convertible.

Thanks for reminding be of the E-type 2+2. Bulbous bugger that it was.

1 minute ago, MikeW said:

Thanks for reminding be of the E-type 2+2. Bulbous bugger that it was.

It certainly was bulbous compared to the 2 seat coupe & the back seat was really only suitable for kids ... but considering the era & the price it still would have been a reasonably affordable & very stylish way to haul around a family of 4.

Affinity Photo 

• 1 year later...

Hi Sorry for opening such an old thread but I have just joined here due to getting into GT Sport's designing side of things more than the driving. I am looking to do some real livery on a car that will be replicated to my rear track car but I cannot get any SVG's to load. I have tried all online converters I can find, I have files down even to 5KB and it keep saying invalid file format. Can someone please advise and help on this who have experience in successfully converting and loading images.

I would also love the one at the top of this thread by the OP... Is it possible to have that or a copy I can put into my GT Sport ?

Thanks

Carl

Attached are 4 of the images I need to convert

Dark Green.png

racing Dark Green.jpg

red.png

Castrol Logo.jpg

Edited by Carl Hammond

Hi Carl

I’m the OP. Are you able to download the afdesign & svg files posted above by firstdefence and v_kyr? If so, you can upload the svg’s to your gt sport profile via the Sony website. 
I don’t play it any more - life gets in the way. And I honestly can’t help you with your artwork - it baffles me how people can cram so much detail into such tiny file sizes. I was very lucky to be helped by firstdefence and v_kyr - they are very clever. I am not unfortunately. 
Good luck mate. Cheers...