You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Importing documents/files

How do you import documents or files created in adpub into another adpub document? For example if creating a magazine or journal, with features created seperately, and then adding (or importing) them into one single document, without having to re-do everything again.

You can import afpubs like any graphic. Though I don't know how to make it handle multipage documents. But maybe you meant something like "import pages" which function is not available in APub.

Edit: Question of my own: How do you you make imported item to position from upper left corner? My imports place from centre? :56_anguished:

6 hours ago, Fixx said:

You can import afpubs like any graphic. Though I don't know how to make it handle multipage documents. But maybe you meant something like "import pages" which function is not available in APub.

That's precisely what I wanted to do. When preparing a newspaper, various sections are done separately, and then inported into one file (although larger newspapers can be printed in a sereies of main sections). But take a magazine, for example, where some sections will be the same, say film or book reviews, only the subjects change. When you build a monthly magazine, it would be great to import/add recurring different sections to build one single issue. Is Afpub capable of doing that?

Sincerely, I don't need to build brochures or flyers, but use the software to prepare books, magazines or newspapers for printing. Will Publisher be able to that?

9 hours ago, haakoo said:

Use a Picture Frame with the size of the desired area(or full page)

Certes I can also drag import area, but aim is to place import object as it is, not scaled. All other layout software use upper left corner as reference point (ID even has a reference point selection in control bar but it still uses upper left corner anyway).

2 hours ago, Nebulosa said:

use the software to prepare books, magazines or newspapers for printing. Will Publisher be able to that?

Sure, you can use it the old way. Prepare sections as different files and combine the PDFs (or not as many press houses can take PDFS as section files too). 

Book function is requested (combine publication from separate files intelligently) and I would think it will come, but maybe not in first release version.

14 hours ago, Fixx said:

How do you you make imported item to position from upper left corner? My imports place from centre? :56_anguished:

It depends. When I click only (without dragging) it gets placed centered. When I paste by dragging to define its size then by default it becomes placed form upper left corner. Whereas Command-drag let me both place it centered AND drag its size.

Workarounds for upper / lower right: just drag in that direction. Unfortunately you'll have to flip or rotate it afterwards.

Whereas I do agree that the reference point selection should work here, too.
Also I do miss a way to place a series of resources all in exactly same size.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

8 hours ago, Nebulosa said:

But take a magazine, for example, where some sections will be the same, say film or book reviews, only the subjects change. When you build a monthly magazine, it would be great to import/add recurring different sections to build one single issue. Is Afpub capable of doing that?

It may be simpler for you to prepare a new document with your sections, headings, etc. defined but without the monthly content that will change. Save that somewhere, then each month open that "template", save it under a new name, and fill in the changing content as you need it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It may be simpler for you to prepare a new document with your sections, headings, etc. defined but without the monthly content that will change. Save that somewhere, then each month open that "template", save it under a new name, and fill in the changing content as you need it.

The problem here, and this will happen to anyone who works on a weekly or monthly magazine or other such publication, is that there's always at least one article or piece that is dropped and then replaced by another. And the dropped article could serve for a future issue. As far as I can see, this wasn't taken into account, as afpub is mainly set to build a single document and not to add or replace documents within a single document. This is a dealbreaker for any publisher of continuing issues.