Bogdan

Replace image by dragging a new one in the document, please!

Hi,

When I drag an image from a windows folder on top of an existing image in the document, it should replace the existing image instead of placing the new one on top.

It's more useful when working with many images and keeping track of them.

It will work as expected if you use additional image frames as container for your images.

Different to InDesign in AfPub you may place images without frames (containers). That means there is no container and therefore no content to replace if you drag an image on an existing image.

macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

1 hour ago, Bogdan said:

And how can I add a container to an image already placed in the document?

It's easiest if you start out using Picture Frames in the first place :)

But if you have an image without one, you should be able to add a Picture Frame, then drag the image you already have into it. Or cut/paste.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 and 1.7.1.390 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 and 1.7.1.390 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.384 Beta

46 minutes ago, Bogdan said:

Is it possible, when I place an image, to have also the frames at the same time? 

No. You would first create the frame, to position the image where you want it, at the size you want for the rest of the page content. Then you would Place the image into it.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 and 1.7.1.390 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 and 1.7.1.390 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.384 Beta

So here's the problem: I cannot make a clear choice about the position and the size unless I see the actual image. So it's more user-friendly to have the image with the frame at the same time.

15 minutes ago, Bogdan said:

So here's the problem: I cannot make a clear choice about the position and the size unless I see the actual image. So it's more user-friendly to have the image with the frame at the same time.

You can always move the frame, or resize it, after you see the image in place.

Or, you could place the image without a frame, and then use Layer > Convert to Picture Frame (or the right-click context menu) to add the frame to it. That might be your easiest approach.

But Publisher does not (at this time) provide a one-step method of placing the image and creating a frame for it.

-- Walt

Layer > Convert to Picture Frame

Yes. This is useful. I can place an image, crop it, position it, and if i decide to change it I convert it. Still a slight inconvenience when I decide to change it. Since I have hundreds of images that change all the time it's hard to know which one has a picture frame and which one hasn't when I want to replace it by drag and drop. And I cannot select all the images from all the pages and convert them, I have to do it page by page.

Thanks for the help though, I hope the software developers will take this issue into consideration. 

1 hour ago, Bogdan said:

Thanks for the help though, I hope the software developers will take this issue into consideration. 

Not everyone does see that issue, unfortunately and obviously.

I wonder who prevents to demand to go for an automatic image frame once a resource gets placed, pasted or dragged on a page. Are additional frames expencive here?

2 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Not everyone does see that issue, unfortunately and obviously.

Not so sure about that. Because indesign users will start to drag and drop their images on top and will expect a replacement. 

1 minute ago, Bogdan said:

Not so sure about that. 

There are a lot of satisfied people, used to Serif software, not Adobe.

Sure, but the trick is to take what's best from both sides. 

I'm not an Adobe fan but i think replacing images is more intuitive as they have it in indesign. 

If you drag it on top. it will get replaced, if you drag it on the side you get a new image. Two different things with just one click. While in publisher you have to make a frame first so that's double the work.

Remember that Publisher is part of a suite of applications that share a common document format.  Picture frames don't make sense in Photo or Designer and no one would expect them in an application like that.

Even if Publisher always created frames for pictures, there would be ways to pull the pictures out of frames, and there would always be the possibility of documents being manipulated in the other two applications which would result in frameless pictures that could be brought back into Publisher.

InDesign and QXP work in isolation, so they can provide the more typical frame behavior common to layout applications, but Publisher is sharing a document ecosystem with other applications, so some of its behaviors will be dictated by needing to maintain consistency with the other programs.

Automatic picture frames would make sense as layout apps go. No brainer actually.

It is the Photo/Designer connection here which makes this matter complicated. Though I think it would not matter if Publisher images would carry picture frame masks with them to Photo. 

Is not it less likely (and less useful) to transfer an image from Publisher Photo / Designer than to reverse import from this creator Apps Publisher?

From this point of view, it would be the peculiarities of the photo / designer in relation to the picture frame, taking into account a hard-to-understand self-limitation of the publisher
Comparison: Although much text will become processed in Publisher, the program does not have to worry about exporting to simple or complex word processors because importing text is essential, while exporting text is completely irrelevant to the functionality of this layout program.

Therefore, it may be helpful to get automatic picture frames when placing image resources in Publisher. Whether there is a UI (check box, button, app or document preference) is initially less important.