You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[question] > Circle passing through 3 points.

This function is not present even in Illustrator AI.
Currently I can do this with the plug-in of the Astute Graphics "SubScribe".

In Affinity Designer how can I create a circle of a passing arc for 2 or 3 points?
As in the picture.

Given the arch in green, I would like to recreate the circle passing through that arch.

If it is not possible, you could of affinity consider this function, in my opinion fundamental for vector graphics and technical drawings.
Also create an arc passing through 3 points.
Like the design of the tangents to curves ...

c1.png

4 minutes ago, >|< said:

forgive me but do you think that I do not know how to "geometrically" construct a circle passing through 3 points?

I only ask for a simple and fast system (if it doesn't already exist) to draw a circle passing through 3 points, without having to do all that long geometric construction to find the center.

12 hours ago, Nickygdj said:

I only ask for a simple and fast system (if it doesn't already exist) to draw a circle passing through 3 points, without having to do all that long geometric construction to find the center.

FWIW, in a recent post one of the staff mentioned that they would like to 'do more' with circles in the future, which might include some method for this equivalent to Illustrator's, but gave no details.

In the meantime, I think finding the center of the circle should be fairly quick & easy, but drawing it may have to be done by eye. Basically, just draw the two line segments like in the Math Is Fun example, & rotate each of them 90° using the Shift key constraint. Extend the short one in the Transform panel to cross the longer one using the center anchor & width/height lock. Then you can use snapping & the constrain proportions & create from center keyboard modifiers to draw out the circle from where they cross. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any snapping options that will snap the circle to the three points.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, >|< said:

I think :56_anguished: or :37_disappointed: or some such would be more appropriate for the lack of a snapping option for the last step. Except for that, it would take just a few seconds to precisely size the circle & delete the two construction lines.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

20 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Reminds me to ...

But how would you fit a shape made with the Ring (Donut) tool to 3 already existing arbitrary points on the canvas, or to a 2 segment line equivalent?

Affinity Photo 

I'm trying to replicate the tutorial posted but it doesn't work for me.

1. I have a trace of a circle (in curves)
2. I select the ring, donut tool and with the selected curve trace I try to replicate the tutorial.

Affinity Des. wants to create me a new Ring shape and not act on the selected path ...

This thing only works if I already have a ring shape to work on!

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

But how would you fit a shape made with the Ring (Donut) tool to 3 already existing arbitrary points on the canvas, or to a 2 segment line equivalent?

That's left as an homework exercise to you, all I said only is, that it reminds me (visually) to that donut tool.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

8 minutes ago, Nickygdj said:

I'm trying to replicate the tutorial posted but it doesn't work for me.

1. I have a trace of a circle (in curves)
2. I select the ring, donut tool and with the selected curve trace I try to replicate the tutorial.

Affinity Des. wants to create me a new Ring shape and not act on the selected path ...

Nah it doesn't do that or what you are looking after, what I've shown there is just partly the visual behavior of that donut shape/form tool, which reminded me somehow to what you've shown initially with the arcs. :)

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

10 minutes ago, Nickygdj said:

Yes, as should be obvious by now, if you just have the 3 points to start with, there is currently no way in Affinity Designer to precisely fit a circle to it. AFAIK, the closest you can get to that is what I posted earlier, which can precisely locate the center of the circle but can't set its size precisely.

Affinity Photo 

3 hours ago, >|< said:

The "circle" can have its centre snapped to a location and its path precisely snapped to any one of the three points, but, because it is not a true circle, the path will not precisely pass through the other two points.

Am I correct in assuming that you were using the Control key 'along a line' modifier to create the "circle" to get it to snap to any one of the three points?

I ask because beginning at some point a few weeks ago, that modifier key option stopped working on my iMac when drawing out any shape, with or without using the other modifier keys. Resetting the app has not helped so I have been looking for other possible causes, but so far no luck. :(

Affinity Photo 

5 hours ago, >|< said:

Per prima cosa, le app Affinity non hanno circoli vere; si approssimano solo a un cerchio con 4 curve Bezier cubiche collegate.

Il "cerchio" può avere il centro spezzato in una posizione e il suo percorso si aggancia precisamente a uno qualsiasi dei tre punti, ma, poiché non è un vero cerchio, il percorso non passa esattamente attraverso gli altri due punti.

622356847_circlethreepoints.thumb.gif.bedc3bb29c1a839095799e414efd5292.gif

I can't, like in your tutorial, pull the circle and point to the nodes of the 3 points of passage of the circumference why?