You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[question] > Circle passing through 3 points.

• Staff

How about we keep this thread civil, please..?

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

As I stated in another thread-

I already added true circles when I did the construction geometry feature for the Node tool, but this prototype feature is currently revoked.  This involved all the maths for circles and ellipses - plus the ability to define a circle by two or three points, and the rather complex maths for performing snapping through arcs.  Our current circles are, as stated, only a Bezier quadrant approximation.  As such they are considerably inaccurate as far as technical style drawing and snapping goes.  True circles will be represented correctly in terms of the maths.  The rendering of them will be handled appropriately such that errors will be imperceivable.  Export, of course, will require certain choices, depending upon the output format - whether to export as a circle, ellipse or Bezier approximation.

There will be improvements to circles soon.  I hope it will be some time in the 1.7 cycle, but I can make no promises.  It will require new ways of handling them that is a departure from our current box-based approach.  This means a lot of tooling changes to accommodate this.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

1 hour ago, Ben said:

Come ho affermato in un altro thread

Ho già aggiunto delle vere cerchie quando ho eseguito la geometria di costruzione per lo strumento Nodo, ma questa funzione di prototipo è attualmente revocata. Ciò implicava la matematica per i cerchi e le ellissi, oltre alla possibilità di definire un cerchio per due o tre punti e la matematica piuttosto complessa per eseguire lo snap attraverso gli archi. I nostri cerchi attuali sono, come detto, solo un'approssimazione del quadrante di Bezier. In quanto tali, sono considerevolmente inaccurati per quanto riguarda il disegno tecnico dello stile e lo snapping. I veri cerchi saranno rappresentati correttamente in termini di matematica. Il rendering di questi sarà gestito in modo appropriato in modo che gli errori siano impercettibili. L'esportazione, ovviamente, richiederà determinate scelte, a seconda del formato di output - se esportare come un'approssimazione di cerchio, ellisse o Bezier.

Presto ci saranno miglioramenti alle cerchie. Spero che ci vorrà del tempo nel ciclo 1.7, ma non posso fare promesse. Richiederà nuovi modi di gestirli che si discostano dal nostro attuale approccio basato sulla scatola. Ciò significa un sacco di modifiche agli strumenti per adattarsi a questo.

Hello,
Thank you for taking the issue into consideration.
We users ask only for precise, versatile and reliable vector drawing software. The purpose is to be able to do everything within AD without having to use other software for "current" deficiencies of AD.
I have been trying AD for a few weeks and I think it's amazing, 100,000 times better than Ai, but it has some shortcomings, missing features to finally replace Adobe software.
(Ai has always sucked)

• Staff
1 hour ago, .: NICKY G. :. said:

We users ask only for precise, versatile and reliable vector drawing software. The purpose is to be able to do everything within AD...

Yes - I think that expectation is the problem for many users venting frustration.... and the reality is that the chances of us creating your perfect app is pretty remote (if that is your expectation).

Be realistic - AI is a costly app, has been around for decades, had quite a large development team and still a large portion of the more useful functionality that people expect is provided by third party additions.

We are already putting a lot of such functionality directly into Affinity, and trying to do new things.  At some point we have to make a choice - time is a limited commodity.  We are also aware that just throwing more people at the problem isn't the solution.  The reason we are a slim team is that we are a capable team, and we can trust each other.  If we doubled the team size over night just to try speed through loads of features - the result might not be all you hope for.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

13 minutes ago, Ben said:

Yes - I think that expectation is the problem for many users venting frustration.... and the reality is that the chances of us creating your perfect app is pretty remote (if that is your expectation).

Be realistic - AI is a costly app, has been around for decades, had quite a large development team and still a large portion of the more useful functionality that people expect is provided by third party additions.

We are already putting a lot of such functionality directly into Affinity, and trying to do new things.  At some point we have to make a choice - time is a limited commodity.  We are also aware that just throwing more people at the problem isn't the solution.  The reason we are a slim team is that we are a capable team, and we can trust each other.  If we doubled the team size over night just to try speed through loads of features - the result might not be all you hope for.

Look at the current state, you've really done a great job. AD really works better than Ai for practical purposes, I've been fiddling with it for a few weeks, without having worked on it, but it seems to be fast, lean, reliable ... I have been using it for 10 years not constantly (I prefer), but every time I have to using Ai is a headache ... Slow, Heavy, Inaccurate, as long as you work with a few vectors it goes more or less well but when you start putting images, shadows, and many tables, it becomes difficult even to move from one table to another ...

I don't ask big things about AD, many illustrator functions I don't even use (or rarely), see 3D, perspective grid, mesh tools, effects (except shadows) or new functions ...
From AD I would ask only for more precision, some 3-point circle drawing tools (which even AI does not have, but via plug-ins), or tangent lines, objects that adapt to the curvature of the path and remain at 90 ° with it , in the end it is a vector / technical drawing software, so I believe that having certain functions is a must, it will benefit the software but also the sales.

Type in AD I can't find
1. the ability to directly manage the guides through the panel transforms (I always have to open the guide panel, which is formidable but inconvenient to access), such as the possibility of transforming a path into a guide.

2. I can't find the possibility to display only the work table by removing the display of everything in the assembly table (which in pubblisher does, but in pubblisher I can't find the possibility to see the objects parked in the area of Editor)

3. I can't find how to display the icc color profile applied to the document

4. I have an old Pantone library, how can I put it in AD?

5. The tool creates shapes would not be bad

6. A tool to straighten an object horizontally and vertically. Like I have a track with a nib that AD does not mark the corner for me, but I would like to place it horizontally, like I do?

7. The slider for the stroke size is excellent, but I think we should also add predefined line thickness sets, such as 0.25, 0.5, 0.75, 1, .... (even if they can be customized by the user)
or insert the notches on the slider as on the rotation slider.

8. Insert the transform panel in the top bar for quick access.

9. Overprint display and the various CMYK Spot print channels

10. Maybe implement a plug-in to be able to insert AD files in indesign

11. Display the fill / trace in the left tool palette even when set to 1 column display.

12. Arrangement of collapsible panels as happens in Ai, in order to have more palettes available but occupy less space. So limit the waste of time in having to always go looking for and open the desired panels.

13. the "X" button of the project close instead of putting it all to the right, putting it shortly after the name of the table, is more intuitive and visible.

14. the command to recall the momentary zoom in backspace + crtl, make it work even if you press as in adobe, ctrl + backspace.

15. Key object alignment. (first selection or last selection is a bit limiting if there are many objects to align.

16. Possibility of special selections, similar in color, etc. ...

17. Ability to open a PDF or other document, converting texts into tracks (especially if they are not present in the PC)

18. other things that now escape me ...

9 minutes ago, .: NICKY G. :. said:

I don't ask big things about AD, many illustrator functions I don't even use (or rarely), see 3D, perspective grid, mesh tools, effects (except shadows) or new functions ...

But a lot of other users are asking for a variety of new & improved things both large & small, so it isn't very realistic to expect the developers to prioritize just the ones you want above all the others.

Regarding things you say you can't find in AD, some of them, like collapsable panels & a way to momentarily switch to the Zoom tool, already are there, although not necessarily implemented the same as in AI.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

But a lot of other users are asking for a variety of new & improved things both large & small, so it isn't very realistic to expect the developers to prioritize just the ones you want above all the others.

Regarding things you say you can't find in AD, some of them, like collapsable panels & a way to momentarily switch to the Zoom tool, already are there, although not necessarily implemented the same as in AI.

I'm not saying that other things that other users would like to be expanded are not to my liking, I have only highlighted some implementation "which I think" are easier and faster to expand, than I know about a perspective grid or a 3D generation.
It is clear that if it were possible to have all the functions of Ai in AD it would be fantastic.
But I take Ai as an example because it is the most popular, but I saw for example doing great things even in corel draw.