You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient inside a selection?

Thanks but can I ask this another way.  Taking a picture of a house as an example, if I make a selection of the roof how can I add a gradient to the selection and then go back later and alter the gradient if needed.  Then make a selection of the walls and do the same.  I am looking to divide up an image into selections and work on them while they remain in the same image?  Thanks for your help.

What are you working in Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo?

Vector or Raster?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

If overlaying a Photo...

1. Select the Free Hand Selection Tool (L)
  2. On the context menu select Type: Polygonal
  3. Draw a selection around the roof
  4. Create a new pixel layer
  5. Select The Gradient Tool and drag a gradient out over the selection
  6. Change the colours of the gradient nodes to suit.
  7. Press Cmd+D Ctrl + D on Windows to deselect the selection

If you want to change the selection.

Cmd + Click on the pixel layer square icon that has the gradient, this will create a selection, now do steps 5 -7

Screen-Shot-2019-05-18-at-20-32-54.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Sorry me again.  I am trying to add a number of different (individual) gradients to the same image (ie one for the roof, one for the house front , one for the background etc) but each time I add a second pixel layer it knocks out the first one.  Help again if you don't mind, thanks

After adding one gradient, group the result before adding the next one. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)