You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I am just beginning to use AP for a combination of photos and artwork.  For the artwork, I will probably need a stylus for fine lines.  I notice that the more expensive styluses come with a pressure sensitive feature.  How important is that?  Thanks.

43 minutes ago, Engine44 said:

I notice that the more expensive styluses come with a pressure sensitive feature.  How important is that? 

I guess it is important if you want that real looking thick/thin pressure you get with a pen or pencil on paper, depends what kind of work you are doing? But only the Apple pencil is supported in the Affinity Apps, i have a Wacom Sketch that has pen pressure but only has basic use in Affinity and i only have the Designer App which has a pressure studio option for vector brushes, so not a big issue.

13 minutes ago, summersara said:

I guess it is important if you want that real looking thick/thin pressure you get with a pen or pencil on paper, depends what kind of work you are doing? But only the Apple pencil is supported in the Affinity Apps, i have a Wacom Sketch that has pen pressure but only has basic use in Affinity and i only have the Designer App which has a pressure studio option for vector brushes, so not a big issue.

By basic use of the Sketch, do you mean that pressure sensitivity and palm rejection do not work with AP?

5 minutes ago, Engine44 said:

By basic use of the Sketch, do you mean that pressure sensitivity and palm rejection do not work with AP?

Yep,  its not supported as far as i'm aware, only the Apple pencil, i did ask before i bought the app and that's the reply i got, also it was not a listed app on the Wacom site.

There isn't the option like there is with other apps, like Procreate, Sketchbook pro, Artrage to sync the stylus.

2 minutes ago, summersara said:

Yep,  its not supported as far as i'm aware, only the Apple pencil, i did ask before i bought the app and that's the reply i got, also it was not a listed app on the Wacom site.

There isn't the option like there is with other apps, like Procreate, Sketchbook pro, Artrage to sync the stylus.

I have an ipad air 2, so there is no pencil support, apparently.  Since that is the case,  how about all the brushes that are available in AP?  By that I mean, can I effectively solve the problem with proper brush selection (e.g. wide vs. narrow, etc.)

7 minutes ago, Engine44 said:

I have an ipad air 2, so there is no pencil support, apparently.  Since that is the case,  how about all the brushes that are available in AP?  By that I mean, can I effectively solve the problem with proper brush selection (e.g. wide vs. narrow, etc.)

I also have an iPad Air 2. You can edit the brush dynamics to achieve variations in the brush strokes in APh, but (unlike AD) there is no Stroke Studio where you can vary the pressure of pen lines.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

46 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I also have an iPad Air 2. You can edit the brush dynamics to achieve variations in the brush strokes in APh, but (unlike AD) there is no Stroke Studio where you can vary the pressure of pen lines.

So to get additional artistic design features including Stroke Studio, you could edit a photo in AP and then import it into AD.  Do you need a pen to use Stroke Studio?  Thanks.

30 minutes ago, Engine44 said:

Do you need a pen to use Stroke Studio?

No, you can just use your finger or a cheap, basic stylus but pressure studio effects the vector line you have drawn in Designer, you will need to have pressure set in the context toolbar for the brush and the line selected to change the pressure:

11F6DFC0-453A-46F1-8B45-95366346CE88.png