You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Trapping

I noted the list of upcoming features for Designer in another topic on this site.  Under the "Pro Printing" section of that list, I looked for and did not note any reference to "Trapping" capability.  

Will that also be on the to-do list for upcoming features for Designer?  

thanks for any info you may be able to provide.     

- David  

• Staff

I noted the list of upcoming features for Designer in another topic on this site.  Under the "Pro Printing" section of that list, I looked for and did not note any reference to "Trapping" capability.  

Will that also be on the to-do list for upcoming features for Designer?  

thanks for any info you may be able to provide.     

- David  

What trapping capability would you need?. All the printing companies we deal with would never take pre-trapped files as their RIP would always do a better job. This is the same reason we don't plan to support colour separations. Some printers will still accept seps but they usually merge back to composite PDF and then charge you extra for the pleasure.

The only exception to the above is if you are going to output yourself for screen printing or something similar. For this use case I would recommend buying a RIP or Acrobat. What is your situation?

@TonyB.....thanks for your reply!   I do not personally have a usage case for the need for custom trapping.   I was asking more out of curiosity than anything else.  I know that there are trapping capabilities in Illustrator and InDesign and that there are instances where such control is needed.  So, I was curious as to whether such capability would also be built into Designer. 

Along the lines of what you were talking about, most printers I have dealt with also prefer to let their own RIP handle all trapping and separations.  Were it the case that they would be handed pre-trapped (i.e. custom trap settings) jobs, they would likely be less than enthused with such files.  They would work with them if it were necessary, but they would be more oriented towards using their own systems since those are optimized for their own workflows.  

Having said the above, there could still be instances where custom trapping capability could still be desirable, so it might be nice to have such a capability in the back pocket!    ;)

thanks again for your quick response!   

- David  

• 3 years later...

I still think the ability to set strokes as Overprint would be very useful (if it's not already in there like overprinting colors is)

For example, we print a lot of vinyl, and a small trap on overlying colours makes it a LOT easier to register the vinyl pieces...even if we'd manually have to add a stroke and set it to overprint.

#mikec

= Designer & Programmer =