You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Print Color Separations From Affinity Publisher

Please include the native ability to print spot color separations straight from Affinity Publisher as is possible with InDesign.
Without that feature, I really have no need to switch from InDesign.
I quit using QuarkExpress when they dropped the ability to print seps from application.
Otherwise, I would have to export a PDF and place it back in [[[[ INDESIGN]]] to print to my poly plate printer!!!
Why bother with having to perform the extra step, and STILL rely on InDesign?

Thank you

(see screen shot)

color_seps.jpg

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 2 years later...

Yes. Affinity publisher would otherwise be an indesign killer... but alas it's not.

Especially poor show when you consider that pageplus would print colour separations no problem.
They've even left space for it in the print setup dialog. 

Why Serif would make their otherwise amazing program almost worthless to the printing industry by excluding this most basic feature I do not know...

• 2 weeks later...

If only it had feature A it would be an X killer...  if only it had feature B it would be an X killer...  it only it had feature C it would be an X killer...

Search around the forums a bit and you will find plenty of things to fill in for A, B, and C, and everyone seems to have different ideas about what those are.

I am a 40+ year veteran in the printing industry and there are some indispensable tools missing that leave the Infinity Suite inadequate for print production, thus requiring Adobe software. If these issues could be addressed in future releases, Affinity could become the next Swiss Army Knife in the professional prepress arsenal.

1. Layers are not maintained when exporting as PDFs, or bringing print files into a RIP. Often die cut rules, color bars, and registration marks, etc. must be on separate layers, but become combined into a single layer with images and text upon import.

2. Overprints are not supported. When printing multi color (spot or cmyk), images and text need to trap under or over objects or strokes. Sometimes, spot colors need to overprint other spot colors to create an additional color. 

3. Separations cannot be output with the existing print driver. Separation proofs are required before film production. Sign and t-shirt shops need to print film positives on clear inkjet film for screen production.

4. Export Adobe Illustrator and InDesign format files so printers using Adobe workflows can work with Affinity users. This is a moot point if the above 3 issues are addressed and Print Shops add Affinity work flows.

9 minutes ago, Serigrafique said:

1. Layers are not maintained when exporting as PDFs, or bringing print files into a RIP. Often die cut rules, color bars, and registration marks, etc. must be on separate layers, but become combined into a single layer with images and text upon import.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

You can create Layers in the Affinity applications, either via the icon at the bottom of the Layers menu, or via the menu Layer > New Layer. This will create a container layer, shown as a (Layer) with a capital L in the Layers panel.

You can put objects into such Layers.

Then, during Export, the More button will give you additional settings, one of which is to include the Layers.

I am not sure about your points 2 or 4. I think you're right about #3, printing separations.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 3/19/2022 at 10:50 AM, Serigrafique said:

Export Adobe Illustrator and InDesign format files

This is unlikely to happen due to the proprietary nature of the formats.  None of the Affinity products can read Illustrator files either except that they can import the embedded PDF stream within the files - they actually import the PDF data, not the Illustrator data.

On 3/19/2022 at 11:03 AM, walt.farrell said:

You can create Layers in the Affinity applications, either via the icon at the bottom of the Layers menu, or via the menu Layer > New Layer. This will create a container layer, shown as a (Layer) with a capital L in the Layers panel.

You can put objects into such Layers.

Then, during Export, the More button will give you additional settings, one of which is to include the Layers.

I am not sure about your points 2 or 4. I think you're right about #3, printing separations.

Walt, 

"Include layers" is on by default. I tried this as you suggested, but when I brought the PDF file into my RIP and AI, the layers are collapsed into a single layer with every character and object combined into a group in that layer. Layer names are lost as well. See attached images.

As far as overprinting, the die cut line in this example will knock out of the yellow background leaving a white line where the die cut rule will cut. If it is out of register by a little the the line will show on the final product.

Separation proofs would show this defect before making plates.

There is no way to use Affinity as a production tool. I still require Adobe to send jobs to press, and need serious layer manipulation to do so.IMG_1513.thumb.JPG.a07df538708f73001785da2d82bf4db1.JPGIMG_1514.thumb.JPG.ed88be26ed511425418b74e506c42a7c.JPG

Adobe Illustrator cannot keep layers that are in a pdf intact. It's a known limitation of Illustrator.  While Acrobat will gladly display them, and other applications can open a pdf with OCG (Optional Content Groups, which are what pdf layers are) properly, Adobe has never seen fit to program Illustrator to honor them.

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

Adobe Illustrator cannot keep layers that are in a pdf intact. It's a known limitation of Illustrator.  

Known limitation??? Having used Illustrator on a Mac since version 5, I have saved Illustrator layered PDFs, reopened them in other apps and sent them to RIPs and the layers have remained intact. The point is that Designer does not handle layers in a way consistent with conventional prepress methods and need some changes to become competitive with Adobe.

Yep. What Illustrator does since version 10 or so is save a copy of it's own format into the pdf. That is likely what is being opened.

Prior versions were an extension of the .eps format that retained layers.

Open your Affinity application pdf in Acrobat. If there are real layers in your Affinity application and you export with layers, you will see them in Acrobat. 

As well, just about every other application I use will open such a pdf with the OCG layers turned into application layers. That is something Illy has never been capable of. 

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

What Illustrator does since version 10 or so is save a copy of it's own format into the pdf.

MikeW,

Thank you, I did not know that. We really like Affinity apps and will continue to use them for design work, just wish we could use them for our prepress needs. What we don't like is subscription software.

• 1 month later...

PDF 1.7 does support layers on export and I use that often as I put die lines etc on one layer and finish art on the layer to be printed. These layers are preserved when opening in other programs ie Canvas, Corel Draw etc. If you are losing layers in Illustrator then it is probably a setting in Illustrator or a bug.

I do wish Affinity Publisher could print Spot Color separations. I have pretty much disbanded using PagePlus for any separation work as it does not support postscript level 3 and was hoping Affinity suite would pick up where that was left off. Instead we are missing many features that are essential for the print industry. Seems the software is intended for making pretty pictures rather than production.

Adobe Suite is CRAP, many many years ago Adobe was a half descent company but that is not the case so I have resorted to using Corel Draw that I had used since version 1.0.

I do use Affinity Photo for retouching and Designer for Illustration work and certain effects but Designer lacks envelope and other tools that are often used in designs.

So are there plans on putting in Spot Color separation ability in the suite?