You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher word spacing

In Affinity Publisher is it possible to change the spacing of selected words? I have pasted in text from MS Word and left justified but the spacing of the last line of some paragraphs is wrong ie stretching from left to right.

If I understand your description, it sounds like you have full justification selected rather than left justified. The left justified icon is the one I have selected in this screenshot:

1295027507_ScreenShot2019-05-17at9_58_34AM.png.8d427cbfe2a84ff5bc178d99dc9cda87.png

Full justified is the icon on the farthest right.

Edit: here is the view from the context toolbar:

1047164553_ScreenShot2019-05-17at10_02_38AM.png.d6e3c3f4e4087a893899795965ca8975.png

Can you provide the file for us to look at?

(If not, for privacy or other reasons, one of the moderators will be able to provide a private upload link.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

53 minutes ago, araek said:

Thank you for your response. Have just checked ( highlighted ) the two paragraphs that are affected by this and they are both justified left. Very puzzling/annoying!

You might try this.    I use this setting and it works perfectly.    You go to the Text Styles Panel (VIEW>Studio.Text Styles) and then highlight your text frame.   A corresponding line in the Text Styles will be highlighted.   With that line highlighted, click on the little icon on the right (3 horizontal lines with the little black arrow underneath) and when the dialog box opens, click Edit Text Style.   You will then get a new panel (see example below) with many options.   You need to highlight the Paragraph>Spacing section, then in the Paragraph Spacing>Alignment box, choose Justified Last Line Left.

That should work for you.

1183889103_ScreenShot2019-05-17at11_43_13AM.thumb.png.3de00c132989c54a7f6956d825c189f4.png

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Thank you very much for your response. I have tried your suggestion but I cannot get the words on the 2 lines in question to budge!! Have done 11+ pages of a book I am working on and it is just the last lines of two paragraphs that are doing this for some reason. The last lines of all the other (many) paragraphs are  justified left. Hopefully I will find a solution eventually! Thank you once again.

Try assigning a completely different Paragraph style to the offending paragraphs.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 hours ago, araek said:

I have pasted in text from MS Word and left justified but the spacing of the last line of some paragraphs is wrong ie stretching from left to right. 

Another approach: In menu "Text" activate "Show Special Characters" to make the blue hidden markers visible. Do you see the symbol for paragraph at the last line end – or is it a corner-arrow as symbol for a soft line break? In case your text ends with a soft line break then the last line will behave unexpected as you described.

677524419_softlinebreak.jpg.4c2a3cc58f8d95ec1719cdb9d2f23929.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hi Thomaso, by zooming in 200% I can now see the special characters and yes  it is a corner arrow...in other words because of something I did Publisher thinks it is not the end of a paragraph but I am not sure how to correct it! Can you give me any advice? Many thanks.

You can simply delete it like any line break. Or try this step-by-step way:

1. Place the text cursor in the last word of this text paragraph.
2. With arrow key move the cursor to the right until it jumps to the next line.
3. Press delete until you get back to the last character.
4. Press the enter key to create a hard line break.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thank you!! Problem sorted and I have learnt something. Have had this problem quite often with Word and then only managed to sort it when I converted the document to pdf and edited it in Adobe Acrobat so you have been a great help!!