You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scaling line length - Designer as a basic CAD application

8 hours ago, kelobro said:

wasted my money

Hm. To avoid wasting one's money, that's likely why they have invented a download model called trial.
affinity.serif.com/en-gb/90-day-affinity-trial

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

9 hours ago, kelobro said:

I just bought this program on the Apple Mac App store and wasted my money. 

If only there was a way to try it before you buy it...........

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

There is a CAD addon for illustrator. It would be nice to be able to draw in scale in affinity. One could draw and transform afterwards but.. it is a very needed option that would be very favorable for Affinity Designer and would lure many customers, since it's easy to pattern and make very beautifull 2D presentations

• 2 years later...

I agree, not everyone wants to go through a full CAD program,
but having "scale" is a very basic thing (see Corell Draw for instance) : you fix the scale factor in the "rulers" options,
and then deal with "real " dimensions all along, including for dimension lines !

slightly off-topic  (or rather generalizing the issues)

I have the same complaint about "dimension lines" , a very basic feature - I am not a professional in architecture (but a professional physicist)
and use for personal projects an old copy of Corel Draw (even the personal edition had most features, like dimension marks and scales)

---it may be felt as unnecessary when CAD exists ...I understand that architects want to use CAD, and may also have much CAD material prepared for them;
it allows for impressive 3-D views to be shown to customers, but not to serious customer input/dialogue.

Having the possibility to sketch a basic floor plan , but realistic enough (exact dimensions and angles) may open the way to a more balanced dialogue.

18 minutes ago, jmf said:

but having "scale" is a very basic thing (see Corell Draw for instance) : you fix the scale factor in the "rulers" options,
and then deal with "real " dimensions all along, including for dimension lines !

https://affinity.help/designer2/en-US.lproj/pages/GetStarted/drawingScale.html

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2