You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tiling jpgs Affinity Designer

I use My Craft Studio Elite to design papers for card making.  It has the function whereby I can import a jpg., resize the image, hit the tiling button and then drag the image across or down to create a page of multiple images of the original jpg.  Is there anything in designer that would let me do this.  I have looked at the Fill tools but I can only find how to manipulate colours not images.  I've checked the forum but nothing quite seems to cover this seemingly simple task.  It can't be too difficult because the software I use is free.  It would be more convenient not to have to use 2 different apps.

I have attached an image created in the My Craft Studio software.  The original jpg was of 1 mandala image.

Tiling.jpg

• Staff

Hi Digas,

There is no automatic way to do this however the below tutorial should show you how to do what you are looking for :)

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

6 minutes ago, Callum said:

There is no automatic way to do this

Can’t you do it with the Gradient/Fill Tool? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
8 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Can’t you do it with the Gradient/Fill Tool? :/

Yes you can! for some reason the extend option wasn't appearing on my context tool bar so I thought it must have been removed! I will post a video showing how to do this below.

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Thank you Callum.  The first tutorial was very informative and I learned some new things too.  I must confess in the past I just copied, pasted and dragged the images into place.  Grouped them and then repeated the process.  Obviously using the align functions as necessary.  The other software that I use makes the process so simple that I just assumed I was missing something obvious in Designer.  Perhaps in the future they too will have the facility to just drag a jpg onto the page, click a button and then drag to cover the page.

Thank you again.  Your help is very much appreciated.

Digas

Hi, Digas,

While "My Craft Studio Elite" has lots of convenience built in, Designer has far more versatility. Attached, a quickie that while it did take a minute or so, shows how much variation can be made using the power duplicate function and layering blend modes.

Mand2.jpg.539483d619fb1df4a431426e6b6491ab.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thank you gdenby and v_kyr for your replies.  I totally agree about the versatility of Designer, unfortunately I am still at the learning stage trying to manipulate the software.  My Craft Studio is really quite basic, hence my purchase of Designer.  Having never used professional graphic design software before I am finding it is a huge learning curve.  Possibly more so because I don't know the correct terminology.  Layers, masks etc are new to me and the "symbols" tool being another such example.  I didn't even know it existed until Callum pointed it out in his video.  The Context Free software also looks interesting  and I will certainly try it out.  However, I am determined to conquer Affinity Designer and hopefully I will not have to jump back and forth between apps too often.

Once again, thank you all for the replies.

BTW tools like Context Free, Scratch or Processing etc. allow to dive into or deal with the field of Dynamic pictures here, which also has it's charms.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2