You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to revive Publisher ... not a question

A few betas ago I noticed, that Publisher gets a bit more unresponsive (unusable) working on the same document, like text/graphics blurred, UI sometimes completely missing, menu items not selectable etc. pp.

But there are two workarounds at least for me -> Keep Publisher busy with any kind of operation. Creating a new document with keyboard shortcuts + hitting Enter key is one workaround, the sequence hitting ESC -> H -> moving the page is the other one. Just wanted to let you know if you are facing the same problem, always force closing and restarting Publisher is not an option.

Maybe something changed inside the programmes code so that is now even more difficult to handle the 106 pages with approx. 100 - 200 layers each page. But I am confident, that Serif will give Publisher a performance boost with the final release.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

3 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

(...) text/graphics blurred, UI sometimes completely missing, menu items not selectable etc. pp.

(...) handle the 106 pages with approx. 100 - 200 layers each page.

Could that be a RAM or GPU issue?

If in macOS you might check with the Activity Monitor.app: open the Memory section and let it run in the background. Then, in case of a symptom, take a look at the diagram at the bottom. If it shows a lot yellow or red (instead green only) it will help to increase RAM. Another hint for insufficient memory is the amount of Used Swap (next to the diagram).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Haven't changed the hardware. Windows 8.1, 8 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD?, i5-4590 @ 3.30 GHz. With this special complex document it happens when saving. File is saved and right after that Publisher gets unresponsive. Publisher uses 4030 MB memory even when idle, InDesign CS6 only 103 MB. During save CPU jumps to 30% and shortly after to < 1%. There is a small peak in CPU usage after about 30 seconds or so, after that Publisher is again responsive. Maybe not saving so often or going for a coffee after saving.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Weird, indeed.

How large is your .afpub file?
... I noticed that, like in InDesign, it helps to clean data within a saved document by doing a Save-As occasionally. Different to InDesign it needs a different file name to make it work and result in a smaller file size.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

File size about 53 MB, saving under different name makes no difference.

------