You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there,

I can't seem to find the right combination of keywords to find what I'm looking for, I'll try and explain as best I can (I'm migrating from Photoshop, so I'll probably be here a lot, lol. I'm attempting to see if i can achieve the same results in the vector part of the program that I would normally get from using photoshop):

(Draw Persona)
The effect I'm looking for is like when you would clip a layer (above) to the layer below in Photoshop. What this would do; Top layer would mask itself to whatever layer was below it (IT HAS NO EFFECT ON THE BOTTOM LAYER). By doing this, I can edit the bottom layer in any way that I'd like and the 'clipping' on the top layer would automatically adjust to the shape of the layer below it.

In Draw Persona, what "Mask to Below" *ACTUALLY* does is clip the bottom layer to the layer you're "clipping" and thus is not the effect I'm looking for.

Additionally, When applying masks to object that have effects on them, for some reason it wants to by default mask in the effects too (i.e drop shadows and glows), if there a way to turn this off, I'm used to not having it clip or mask to effects on the layer at hand.

Thank you in advance. I shall do as much research as I can, but it seems Designer is more different than I expected, so finding ways to achieve what I'm used to will be tough. See you again soon. :P

Watching the Affinity Photo - Clipping vs Masking video tutorial should make things clearer for you.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I've made a video explaining what I'm looking for and why this feature should (hopefully) be in AD. If it isn't I'd be pretty upset as it's probably my most used tool and I'm really trying to migrate from Adobe for good.

The suggested video sadly didn't offer up much help for what I was looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szubPWX3Xgc

Edited by StudioVulcan

55 minutes ago, StudioVulcan said:

I've made a video explaining what I'm looking for and why this feature should (hopefully) be in AD. If it isn't I'd be pretty upset as it's probably my most used tool and I'm really trying to migrate from Adobe for good.

The suggested video sadly didn't offer up much help for what I was looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szubPWX3Xgc

Ahhh, I was able to figure out one of the issues. I have effects on the text layer. So if I turn off the gradient, it /will/ work if I put the shape over the text layer and have the shorter horizontal bar apply to the text layer (that was not very well explained by me, I apologize)... However, I /want/ a gradient on the text, so how can I set it so that the shape layer that I have on "soft light" over-rides the gradient and DOES apply itself to the text?