You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Way to resize mask object independently?

If I create a rectangle and drag a photo inside of it, it will be masked. This works with any shape of course and I love it, but I don't know of an easy way to resize the shape without affecting the elements inside other than converting the shape to a curve and then editing the points directly or pulling everything out of the shape, resizing it and putting it all back. I like to keep smart shapes editable if possible so I'm hopeful there's away around this.

1. Is there a quick and easy way to do the above without resorting to one of the two above methods? (... he asks hopefully)

2. If not, I'd like to make this a feature request for 1.7.x because it's something I would use everyday.

Thanks!

Go to the Layers panel, click on the thumbnail of the rectangle and then transform the rectangle (either on the canvas or via the Transform panel) as desired.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

53 minutes ago, HYR said:

Hi Alfred,

This is what I get when I try to adjust the shape but not the image following your instructions. The image is stretched. You get something different?

You need the help of the Constraints Panel. Select the image that is inside the Rectangle and chenge them in a similar fashion, and the image won't stretch:

image.thumb.png.6d4d519c01a8ffd392ae731f55e53919.png

Best regards!

You could also reverse the relationship and make the shape a mask for the photo instead of making the photo a child of the rectangle.  To do that, drag the rectangle layer in the Layers panel over the thumbnail of the photo's layer; a vertical highlight should show up on the right edge of the thumbnail when you are in the right position to let go.  This makes the rectangle an actual mask of the photo, so you can select the rectangle in the layers palette and manipulate it without impacting the photo itself.

As @>|< pointed out, you can also use Lock Children with your current configuration.

13 minutes ago, fde101 said:

You could also reverse the relationship and make the shape a mask for the photo instead of making the photo a child of the rectangle.

That’s what I thought we were discussing, based on the thread title, so I provided instructions for dealing with masking/cropping rather than nesting/clipping. I overlooked the fact that the OP erroneously stated:

13 hours ago, HYR said:

If I create a rectangle and drag a photo inside of it, it will be masked.

As @>|< observed:

7 hours ago, >|< said:

You have an image clipped by a rectangle; the image is a clip-nested child of the rectangle (the rectangle is not a mask-nested child of the image). 

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hey, I wanted to thank you guys for the all of the feedback. I didn't realize there were so many different ways to do it. Nice to have all of these options as part of my toolbox!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.