dcarvalho84

Bug? Placed document don't let the document to save #330

Hi. I've done a quick test and don't know if it is a bug or not but i've done a quick video.

I've done a pdf with some placed numbers.

Imported that file.

I've done a separated file in Publisher and then placed 14 of them in a A3 page (which is the file i'm placing in the master)

And i can't save the document if i have it in the master...

My idea is to have a prepared file for some raffle tickets, and the idea is to just change the embedded document and have it quickly done, but i can't do it...

So the question is, i'm doing anything wrong or i've found something?

(Video attached)

Maybe the "Google Drive"  location is the problem. Can you save them on your desktop?

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.2 | Affinity Photo 1.7.2 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.2 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.2.2 | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.2.151 | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.2.458

6 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Maybe the "Google Drive"  location is the problem. Can you save them on your desktop?

No i can't save to the desktop. Same error. Didn't have any problems with google drive before too.

I did a cursory test and had no problems perhaps you have a problem with one of the files you are placing.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.2 | Affinity Photo 1.7.2 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.2 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.2.2 | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.2.151 | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.2.458

1 hour ago, dcarvalho84 said:

I've done a quick test and don't know if it is a bug or not

First of all I had the same problem as you, couldn't save. So I am thinking there is some sort of bug involved here. Have to do more testing and experimenting.

Then I tried rebuilding and came up with two master pages one with your PDF Numbers and one with the Publisher file. I applied both masters (do not have the "Replace Existing" check box ticked when applying the second master). The PDF master can then be changed for each page of numbers, I would probably do this a completely different way.

rifa test 03.afpub

Open the pdf numbers and apply the Affinity document as a Master and then have a second Master for your replacement text.

Rifa added to 001-100.afpub

You'll have to do some fine tuning and I don't really know what it is you wanted.

11 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

First of all I had the same problem as you, couldn't save. So I am thinking there is some sort of bug involved here. Have to do more testing and experimenting.

Then I tried rebuilding and came up with two master pages one with your PDF Numbers and one with the Publisher file. I applied both masters (do not have the "Replace Existing" check box ticked when applying the second master). The PDF master can then be changed for each page of numbers, I would probably do this a completely different way.

rifa test 03.afpub

Open the pdf numbers and apply the Affinity document as a Master and then have a second Master for your replacement text.

Rifa added to 001-100.afpub

You'll have to do some fine tuning and I don't really know what it is you wanted.

Hi. Thanks for your tests. I really would like to do it the way i have in the video because it would be more easier to me but, i've seen your approach and maybe i can found a workaround for now. But i really would like to have an answer by @AdamW to see if it would be possible in publisher or if it is not supposed to work like Designer. ( in Designer i have something similar setup for business cards and works like a charm Business card file nested in A4 file and A4 nested in A3 file which is my print file).

If I use the original PDF then yes APub can't save. But if I open the Ind's PDF in PDF Xchange and re-save then that PDF imported in Apub fine and saved.

Sorry reply in a wrong place. I was with Win PC.

Hi dcarvalho84,

It might be the case that another workflow works better here as Old Bruce highlights.

I have reproduced this once so far on Windows, not sure why I don't seem to be able to at the moment and am still looking into this. Either way I don't think this correct behaviour so will get this logged.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com