You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Suggestion: Search and replace in specific location

Agree +1

Though it has been requested already – It still is quite disturbing if one wants to replace just a few, particular occurences of the found results. That can be both time consuming and risky if in the list an unwanted result gets replaced.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

9 hours ago, fde101 said:

story (series of linked frames)

I hope that would already become covered by the option "Text Frame" (possibly named "text elements" in the topic). In case you rather want to search within one frame only of a linked series the option "Selection" would work.

• 4 months later...

+1 from me!

Just doing my first project with Affinity Publisher and it's great, generally. Coming from InDesign, I'm amazed that Afinity Publisher search/replace has all these cool things like regex search etc., but something so basic as limiting your search to the text / table / text frame selected is missing.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/16/2019 at 6:45 PM, Matt Hall said:

add an option to limit the search to given element, instead of the whole document

+1

Wait. Strike that.

+1000!

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 4 weeks later...

This issue has not been addressed in Publisher 1.9.0 so I'm adding my name to the growing list. It really is a major fail in Publisher that you can't limit find (and replace) in this fundamental way, especially since InDesign has always had it (you can limit your searches to Story – i.e. linked text boxes) and, if I remember the dim, distant days aright, so did Quark Express. Having to create a new document just so you can get rid of all the superfluous paragraph breaks in an imported PDF document strikes me as counter to the Affinity ethos. If, using Personas, I can tidy up a pic in Photo or create some simple artwork in Designer without leaving my Publisher document, why do I have to leave that document (and create another one) to do a simple find and replace in one article? 

• 3 months later...

+ 1...

Damn, i don't have enough numbers on the keyboard!

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

This recent thread about the missing ability to clear the found search results (which can cause unwanted changes) makes bump this request thread about options in Find & Replace to limit a search by Selection –> Frame –> Page –> Story / Section –> Document.

Since I did a forums search already to get here I add this related discussion from the Questions forum:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Since this thread has been getting new votes recently: Does anyone know if Serif's decision to separate/rename this subforum to "Feedback for Affinity V1 products [ARCHIVE]" will affect feature requests for V2?

Interestingly, the Bugs subforums have also been separated, even though various known, logged and tagged bugs from V1 were never resolved and thus may appear in V2 – whereas the Questions subforum continues to handle both versions unseparated, even though certain answers can not work for both or may confuse without a literal distinction between V1 and V2.

The fact that Serif announced in various recent posts that V1 would not receive another update to fix existing bugs (but only those that will occur in the future due to changes in the operating systems), suggests to me that neither further "bumping" of bug reports nor feature requests for V1 makes any more sense.

17 minutes ago, Bob P said:

Do Serif actually look at these posts? This has been an active thread for over 3 years and nothing has happened.

Yes, they do.

But the length of a topic, or the number of requests made, do not control what gets implemented. Our requests influence Serif's plans, but there are many factors that determine what gets done, and when.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

46 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Since this thread has been getting new votes recently: Does anyone know if Serif's decision to separate/rename this subforum to "Feedback for Affinity V1 products [ARCHIVE]" will affect feature requests for V2?

Interestingly, the Bugs subforums have also been separated, even though various known, logged and tagged bugs from V1 were never resolved and thus may appear in V2 – whereas the Questions subforum continues to handle both versions unseparated, even though certain answers can not work for both or may confuse without a literal distinction between V1 and V2.

The fact that Serif announced in various recent posts that V1 would not receive another update to fix existing bugs (but only those that will occur in the future due to changes in the operating systems), suggests to me that neither further "bumping" of bug reports nor feature requests for V1 makes any more sense.

I specifically asked the moderators on whether or not to continue in these threads or to create new ones for V2. They say they still look at these threads and said there was no need to create new ones for V2. So I presume they have them tagged to internal feature requests/ bugtracking software the way other software vendors tend to do.