You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Suggestion for sections

Hello,

the view would be more clearly if it were possible to name the sections so that I can see them in the page manager and not only on the pages itself. Or if it were possible to minimize the individual sections and open them as required. For a more extensive publication would it be helpful. 

Otherwise I like the program very much! :12_slight_smile:

6 hours ago, renate75 said:

see them in the page manager and not only on the pages itself.

How do you activate sections visibility "on the pages itself"? I see them only in the Section Manager.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

How do you activate sections visibility "on the pages itself"? I see them only in the Section Manager.

You put a place holder on the master page. Place holder is probably the wrong term, it is in the Fields panel, looks like this <Section Name>

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I found it already with Old Bruce's hint, thank you.

Indeed, it is weird that only fields (page numbers) do indicate sections. They aren't recognizable in the pages panel (unless in huge font size).

Furthermore I'd expect at least to see correct page numbers in the Pages panel (regardless of custom page names): For instance
section 1, page nr i – iii ––>> remains named as "Page 1" ... "Pages 2, 3"
section 2, page 1 – 2  ––>> remains named as "Page 4, 5"

That forces one to think in two different page numbering systems when using sections with numbering restart at 1 for instance.
It also gets confusing on export (and print?) page 1 when it is a section start after page iii for instance. Then it appears to export always the first documents page, both with Export Options entry for "Pages:" i and 1.

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

I found it already with Old Bruce's hint, thank you.

Indeed, it is weird that only fields (page numbers) do indicate sections. They aren't recognizable in the pages panel (unless in huge font size).

Furthermore I'd expect at least to see correct page numbers in the Pages panel (regardless of custom page names): For instance
section 1, page nr i – iii ––>> remains named as "Page 1" ... "Pages 2, 3"
section 2, page 1 – 2  ––>> remains named as "Page 4, 5"

That forces one to think in two different page numbering systems when using sections with numbering restart at 1 for instance.
It also gets confusing on export (and print?) page 1 when it is a section start after page iii for instance. Then it appears to export always the first documents page, both with Export Options entry for "Pages:" i and 1.

I was noticing this myself last night. It was requiring me to manually count the pages to try to figure out the correct page I need to be on. Would be nice to see an accurate display of this.

Both @thomaso and @Josh Eddie Photography got me wondering what happens to a Table of Contents with different page numbers for different sections. Happy to report that the ToC honours the proper (what WE want) numbers and exports them correctly to a PDF for automatic use as hyperlinks.

I too wish that the pages' pane/studio/panel would reflect the numbers of the sections, but some of the numbering schemes would prove to be unwieldy, leading zeros and Roman numerals for instance.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

25 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

would prove to be unwieldy, leading zeros and Roman numerals for instance. 

In which way unwieldy? Readability of iii or IV, though they are used as text glyphs, too?

At first I'd delete the word "Pages" under the page icons.

In addition, I would think about ways to make sections visible in pages panel – regardless of page numbers. For example ...
... Colored Frame.
... Symbol on/near Page icon (compare symbols in Spot / Global Color Swatches).
... Section startup icons (looking like batches, working like folders) to collect sections and close / open their icons on click.

I like all those "in addition" ideas, sad that I can only 'like' it once. They would all add to the functionality of the program.