You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transform (resize / position / etc.) multiple slices at once

Hi folks,

For a long time, I'm struggling with a task that should have been straight forward and I'm loosing a lot of time on each project.

• I often need to export a great amont of slices (can be 50, 100…).
  • Those slices are initially made from layers (thus linked to them, which is essential in my workflow).
  • But I need all slices to be the size of the artboard.
  • With Affinity, I cannot select all my slices, go to the transform panel and type in x0, y0, w1200, h1200 (see attached example) at once. I've to do this manually for everything single slice !!!
  • The transform panel is grey out at the moment a multiple slice selection is done, which is immensely sad :(

SliceTransform.thumb.png.f4ddd0e2f1fd8375885177116a600308.png

Would be very nice to allow such a behaviour.

Thanks in advance.

SlicesTransform.afdesign

WebSite.pngTwitter.png500px.pngFlickr.png

Once in the export persona set slice1's width to 1200 pixels (use 1200w) as shown below

Then follow the instruction in this thread to copy that setting to all other slices

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/75488-export-multiple-slices-scaled/

then export all your slices, which will all be 1200px X 1200px

(Any problems post back here)

artboard.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

In the example file you have provided, if the ellipses were on a layer you could add a rectangle to that layer sized at 1200 x 1200px and set it's fill & stroke to none

When you then export that layer the canvas/file size would be 1200 x 1200px

Is this what you mean?

File attached

SlicesTransform2.afdesign

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I think I see what you want now.  Not sure if it can be done easily but I'll have a play later.

Have a look at the attached file and the export persona to see if that is what you want to achieve

(I don't fancy documenting it if it isn't)

SlicesTransform-final.afdesign

You do not have to manually resize each slice in your test document. 

You can do them "all" at once

I will document it tomorrow, if no one else figures it out for you,

It's too late today... somebody lost some beers so we volunteered to help them search the local pubs for them.

1. Create all slices as normal
2. Pick any slice and resize it on screen to 1200x1200px
3. In the layers panel select all the Ellipses

4. With the slice tool selected, in the context toolbar...
Click the left-hand Align Horizontal button (A)
then click the left-hand Align Vertical button (B)

5. Drag bottom right nodes of small box (C) to bottom right of canvas (i.e. 1200 x 1200px position)

At this point you will notice that there is still a small box in the top left canvas indicating a few slices have not been resized. This, I think, is due to the fact that not all your slices are 140x140 after you enter the Export persona with some being 141x141px which in turn, I think, is due to your Ellipses not being positioned on whole pixels in your test document.  If they were, this second step would not be needed. (not tested)

6. Because of the above you need to repeat this step
Drag bottom right nodes of small box (C) to bottom right of canvas (i.e. 1200 x 1200px position)

That's it.  The thumbnails in the slices panel should now indicate that all Ellipses are on a 1200 x 1200 canvas.

export2.png

Hi @carl123,

I've done 95% of this yesterday, but your italic statement right after point 5 made me understand.

The fact some slices are not resized is because when you drag the small slices, the big one is still selected.

If you select only the small slices (and you're right, their position / size must be the same), then all of them will resize together.

So this is a solution, but… sadly, it only applies on this example, were all layers are the same. In my real need, all of them are different :( (I should have randomised all my discs sizes, sorry).

Anyway, this points out the simple feature that would solve it all: The transform panel should not be greyed out at the moment a multiple slice selection is done. Thus we could use it.

Thanks for your test, now it's time for the Affinity Team to fix this :)

WebSite.pngTwitter.png500px.pngFlickr.png

• 4 weeks later...

After it is this feature has been added to the move tool in the Photo Persona (see below, copied from the new features in v1.70), ...

Added new “Transform object separately” mode into Move tool.

... it would be great if this feature could be also added to the slice tool in the Export Persona.

Currently, each slice has to be resized individually.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

After all the time the only valid workflow for me is to go through all Slice Layers with a screen Macro Recorder to set it to my target position and resolution.
It could be so easy and so helpful if the transform box would allow multi slice editing.