You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Strange file sizes with linked / embedded EPS

Step 1: Made two new documents, one preferred linking images and one preferred embedding images, saved = 1,71 MB

Step 2: Placed a linked EPS (1 MB) and saved = 5,76 MB

Step 3: Placed a embedded EPS (1 MB) and saved = 5,76 MB

Step 4: In Ressource Manager changed the EPS from embedded to linked and saved = 4,05 MB

Step 5: In Resource Manager changed from linked to embedded and saved = 4,05 MB, changing from embedded to linked an saved = 5,77 MB

Is it the file type? Or the buttons working wrong?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

32 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Step 1: Made two new documents, one preferred linking images and one preferred embedding images, saved = 1,71 MB

Step 2: Placed a linked EPS (1 MB) and saved = 5,76 MB

Step 3: Placed a embedded EPS (1 MB) and saved = 5,76 MB

Step 4: In Ressource Manager changed the EPS from embedded to linked and saved = 4,05 MB

Step 5: In Resource Manager changed from linked to embedded and saved = 4,05 MB, changing from embedded to linked an saved = 5,77 MB

Is it the file type? Or the buttons working wrong?

An interesting test.

I assume that file history is most likely part of the file size as long as you don't close the file and reopen it (and don't save history with the file).

This is just a guess, though.
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Placing a linked or embedded EPS makes no difference in file size (history saving is deactivated). But changing from embedded to linked makes the file smaller, but NOT when the file is initially linked. Here I would expect the file size = 4,05 MB.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I think I found the problem, if it is a problem (at least for me). The file size won't change from embedded to linked when Publisher / Serif thinks the file type must be / is editable. So linking SVG, PDF, EPS, AI, PSD, PSB, PS, FH11 and FH10 makes the document size eventually smaller. In my test case of PSD (251 MB) the document file size was in the end 19,5 MB.

So this leads me again for my wish: Please, give us a container option for placing files. Perhaps I am not interested in having an EPS editable (contradiction to Encapsulated PostScript?), perhaps I just want to place these file types like a TIFF or JPEG. I am no programmer at all, but I could imagine that Publisher is not forced to do some resource consuming calculations if the file is just passed through as a container and as a side effect the document files get smaller.

------

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Apologies in the delay in a response here, but this should behave slightly differently in 337, however I have recently logged an issue with certain filetypes leading to larger than expected afpub files so there may still be some work to do here.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.