You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

v326 - file size elevated + crash on copy/paste

v326: I create a new document ("Prefer Linked"), place 1 image and save. 

– placed file (pdf):  7,7 MB
– afpub document:  80 MB

1. What makes increase the .afpub size so enormous?
2. When I copy/paste the placed file then AfPub crashes, reproducible.

The placed file is a PDF exported from an earlier .afpub (v174) / 3 pages, on each 1 jpg + 1 text line.

170174 foto test.pdf

EDIT:
I have tried 3 new documents with 3 different linked pdfs (all exports of v312):
None of them increased file size so massive but all of them made AfPub crash when I selected the placed pdf and did copy/paste.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

Hi thomaso,

Thanks for your reports.

- The PDF is converted to an embedded affinity document and the images inside it are in turn embedded with hi-res previews which is why the document becomes large.

- I have reproduced and logged the issue for Copy / Paste of a placed PDF. This Is new in Build 326.

33 minutes ago, AdamW said:

- The PDF is converted to an embedded affinity document and the images inside it are in turn embedded with hi-res previews which is why the document becomes large. 

I notice that also other linked PDFs make an .afpub file size unexpectedly large - if they contain images.
This increase is greater in v326 than in previous betas.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Can confirm - massive (I mean MASSIVE!) savings in 330…

363560036_ScreenShot2019-05-16at17_19_50.png.fc9da2009460ff4dbaefe7e52590ae47.png

They are both the same document, the original (highlighted) is 324.2mb (8pp document with LINKED images), whilst the copy above it is 1.6mb.

What I did was open the resources panel and relink to the same image file and hit save. No need to delete images and re-import, it worked first time.

Here's another file I was working on - play it and wait a second (it was saving the file) and watch the size drop like a rock…

Thanks to all the devs - this was a big issue to me as I always take a copy of my previous file, rename it and work on that file. That way I can refer back to an old proof if a client decides to revert or grab something from it. A lot of my Indesign files are between 2mb and 70mb so space isn't an issue but several 324.2mb files is.

Good work - its Friday tomorrow so grab yourselves a nice cool beer!

2 hours ago, icreate said:

Thanks to all the devs - this was a big issue to me as I always take a copy of my previous file, rename it and work on that file. That way I can refer back to an old proof if a client decides to revert or grab something from it. A lot of my Indesign files are between 2mb and 70mb so space isn't an issue but several 324.2mb files is.

I think you can do that with snapshots on the same document but i've checked before writing this and Designer have it but it seems Publisher not.

@AdamW can you confirm that please?

2 minutes ago, dcarvalho84 said:

I think you can do that with snapshots on the same document but i've checked before writing this and Designer have it but it seems Publisher not

Publisher does not directly make use of snapshots, at least not in the Persona that is active today.

We'll have to wait until the other Personas become available before we'll know if snapshots work in them.

However, snapshots won't help you if a file becomes corrupted or otherwise damaged. Only separate backup files will help prevent loss of work in that situation.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

We believe this has been addressed in the latest (#371) beta build. Please retest this behaviour.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.