You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

replacing linked files, save failed, afpub corrupted

Hello

I was replacing all my linked files, because of the new update. But then for one pdf, replacing did not work so I just deleted the frames to replace it from scratch.
But suddenly the particular pdf vanished from my hard drive, just gone. Then I wanted to save the afpub and I got the error: save failed becaus the file could not be written to. It gave me the option to save it as a new file, but this just went into a loop, but still creating the afpub-files except all corrupt.

I am not thrilled about the fact that I couldn't save as a new file and about the erasing of some linked files.

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
Secondary: os x mojave / imac 2017
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

• Staff

@ivbera

Sorry. I must say that this sounds quite serious. Can I suggest that you stop replacing your images in existing documents until we can look at this and report back. Any more details would be appreciated, like what you saw when it "did not work"

Please make copies of any files you are using with this beta.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Yes, I have backups and I am not working on serious projects.

The process I went with was clicking a file and in the context menu I clicked on replace image/document.
On jpgs. it works perfectly, linking the image, afpub file gets smaller. But for pdfs it just resulted in being an embedded tiff.
So next step I tried, was going into the ressource-manager and replacing the image.tiff with the original pdf.

This worked, but on this one pdf it resulted in a longer than usual loading time, but was still embedded. So I deleted the layers to place it again, but at this time the pdf already gone.
I decided to save, but this was not possible. "save failed because the file could not be written to" at first I only got the option to close it. Then I tried "save as..." there I got the same message, but this time also a "save as" option, which didnt work either. It just saved 0kb files. So I closed Publisher without saving. When reopening the original file it just said, that it can't be opened, because the file is not supported.

After a system restart, I cleared the user data of Publisher and now I can open the file again. So this is not too bad, except the missing file.

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

• Staff

Hi ivbera, thank you for your post.

We can confirm two of the issues you have raised:

- When performing Replace Document on a placed PDF the resource type is switched to TIF. This is obviously wrong.

- Making an embedded resource linked can delete the original resource file.The original resource file is deleted in preparation for overwriting of the embedded data. However this happens even if you choose different location for the embedded data in which case there would be no need to overwrite the original.

Unfortunately we have not yet reproduced the issue you experienced where the hosting afpub file cannot be written to / saved. Is there any chance you could supply the file you have been working with in case this sheds any light on this issue?

9 hours ago, AdamW said:

Unfortunately we have not yet reproduced the issue you experienced where the hosting afpub file cannot be written to / saved. Is there any chance you could supply the file you have been working with in case this sheds any light on this issue?

I also was not able to recreate this.
I am not comfortable posting it here in the public forum because it has my private informations in there , but I will send you a download link of the file and one of the 0kb file if this helps.

Also thanks for the quick fix.

A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

We believe this has been addressed in the latest (#371) beta build. Please retest this behaviour.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.