You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Kerning Issue in Export for Web

When exporting as PDF for web it is default to only embed uncommon fonts.

I have recently exported a file for web using Arial and, when viewing on iOS devices (possibly Android also), the "i" is missing each time it is after an "f" ...a kerning issue.

Before, I only noticed that it effects font styles, but this is annoying. Couldn't it be default to embed all fonts in this situation? Otherwise I need to remember to switch it in the extra settings on export.  

It seems more a problem with ligatures, and the "fi" one doesn't appear because your iOS device use a different Arial font that doesn't support them or your app doesn't understand them.
Try to disable them or embed the fonts in your PDF.

2019-05-15_224414.png.c50782985b994de1339fbd54d25b93f7.png

Making all fonts embedded will bloat the PDF file and therefore increase loading times.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

This is a tricky issue, I think, and I wouldn't know what to suggest. I certainly wouldn't want to bloat the file size for web, but on the other hand, I can easily see myself using "export for web" and blissfully being ignorant that all my ligatures (which I always use when available) are not showing errors on mobile devices.

I take the presets as "recommended" settings for each situation, and in this case, it would have led me astray, and I wouldn't have even known that this were an issue had I not read this thread.

On 5/15/2019 at 10:36 PM, AnGwer said:

on iOS devices

And on macOS, too: Look where the URLs in the attached PDF guide you, when you open the PDF in Apple's Preview.app. – It gets stuck at the 'fi' in 'affinity', too.
Whereas it works when opening the PDF in Acrobat for instance.

170330-1 text url w 'fi' mac.pdf

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

58 minutes ago, thomaso said:

And on macOS, too: Look where the URLs in the attached PDF guide you, when you open the PDF in Apple's Preview.app. – It gets stuck at the 'fi' in 'affinity', too.

That at least does work on my Mac in Preview:

1333625320_ScreenShot2019-05-17at9_16_55AM.thumb.png.c9bdffd5815797a88564b9b927b05e62.png

I think it is an issue with the installed font, as Wosven suggested.

1 hour ago, garrettm30 said:

Interesting. Did you click + to get to the browser, or did you just read the popup in your screenshot?

With the 2nd link of the PDF I end up either there:  https://forum.af/   (+ error message in the browser window) or there: 
 https://www.serif.com/de/?topic/85461-kerning-issue-in-export-for-web  (which appears to be a re-directed result but not this forums page)

It appears to depend at what position I click on the text line (which actually has no html in the background).

Yes, the ligature "fi" issue. That's why I posted it. I agree, with a default application setting such a result should not occur, as you pointed out already.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1333625320_ScreenShot2019-05-17at9_16_55AM.thumb.png.c9bdffd5815797a88564b9b927b05e62.png

That would be because it is recognizing that text string (because that's all it is) as a URL.

In Acrobat, this behavior can be turned off.

Capture_000032.png.5b1405366904c9748b71e8bc1be612b0.png

I set that default preference to not having this behavior. One cannot really test URLs in a PDF with it turned on.

58 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Interesting. Did you click + to get to the browser

I did try that. It successfully went to the intended link. I just included the popup in my screenshot to show what part was interpreted by Preview as the URL.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.