You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export to specific size/weight

Good afternoon,

I wonder if there is a way to export images (batch export mainly) setting the minimum size of any exported pic. For stock photography I need images that should be 4Mb (jpgs) at least; I'm exporting from retouched Tiffs (generally 3600px X 5000px), setting "export to jpg" as my only custom option, some files are 4+ Mb but most of them are only 2-3Mb..

Thank you in advance

In the New Batch Job dialog, you should see a "..." button to the right of the JPG selection, which will allow you to specify a few options. What Quality level do you have specified?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt,

thanks for the reply. You are right, my settings for jpg export were at 85, so I put it at 100 and now the size has increased. Still I wonder if there is a more accurate way to predict or keep the desired size into a specific range of Mb...in this case I need min 4Mb but I'd also like to avoid having 20Mb files. Working with tons of images would make this non time-consuming, I couldn't imagine do and check the export one by one..

I could easily do that in CaptureOne for example because for any image you can see how much (in Mbs) is going to weight, but it's a longer process since you have to create a new session for any export...

Thanks

17 hours ago, Massi said:

I need images that should be 4Mb (jpgs) at least

Why do you want to specify a minimum file size? Don’t you just need maximum quality? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

16 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

In the New Batch Job dialog, you should see a "..." button to the right of the JPG selection, which will allow you to specify a few options. What Quality level do you have specified?

It's working but I've noticed that you need to change these settings anytime again, it doesn't "remind" your last settings...am I wrong?

8 minutes ago, Massi said:

the stock photography platform I'm working with need min 4mb images

That makes no sense to me. The file size for a JPEG at any given quality setting is entirely dependent on the content of the image: a 5000 px by 3600 px image with a diagonal linear gradient fill exports out of AD on iPad to yield a JPEG (at 100% quality) with a file size of more than 7 MB, but if I switch to a solid fill the file size drops below 0.5 MB.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 minutes ago, Massi said:

It's working but I've noticed that you need to change these settings anytime again, it doesn't "remind" your last settings...am I wrong?

Mine seems to remember the last value I set.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

8 hours ago, Massi said:

the stock photography platform I'm working with need min 4mb images

Are you sure it is a MB (megabyte) & not MP (megapixel) requirement for images in the JPEG format? Which stock photo platform is it?

As @Alfred mentioned, a 4 MB minimum for JPEG files doesn't make any sense because the file size when using JPEG compression is strongly dependent on the compressibility of the image data, which in turn is dependent on the amount of pixel-to-pixel variation in the image. So for example, a photo with a lot of nearly uniform blue sky in it can be compressed to a much smaller file size without a noticeable loss of quality than a sunset shot with a lot of multi-colored clouds in it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Massi said:

Still need to find a way to set MAX or MIN pixel lenght for H or V sides on batch exporting

You can set the MAX (just set both the W and H fields to the same value, and make sure A is checked) but I don't think there's a way to set the MIN.

-- Walt
PC: