You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Frutiger -- wheres the glyphs?

I used to do loads of NHS design and illustration work, but has they have had massive budget cuts over the past five years, I don't get much these days, but Just had an enquiry for a flyer so thought I'd convert my NHS library into a new set of assets in Designer and open a few docs and just noticed that Frutiger (which is the NHS standard corporate typeface) has no glyphs in Designer so opened InDesign and Frutiger glyphs are showing up - I've tested in 1.6 and the latest beta plus pub beta = no glyphs  -------  whats cracking off there?

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 10.02.32.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 09.48.56.png

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

21 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Frutiger (which is the NHS standard corporate typeface)

<pedantry>

NHS England uses Frutiger. NHS Scotland uses Stone Sans.

</pedantry>

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Didn't know that Alfred - Scotland must have a separate corporate identity, as I remember Frutiger at strict size and spacing increments featured throughout the corporate guidelines - I remember Derby City Hospitals wasting money on some signage as the person who commissioned the signs used Arial which caused a massive kerfuffle (once someone actually noticed a few weeks after they where up) - they prob had to lay off a few nurses to fund a re-run while the idiot who commissioned the sign kept their 50k pencil sharpener/clipboard ticker job!?!?!!?!

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Cheer's Sean ----- done!

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

9 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Didn't know that Alfred - Scotland must have a separate corporate identity

Yes, they do, but there’s no reason why you would (need to) know that if you’ve only ever done work for NHS England. :)

9 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

I remember Derby City Hospitals wasting money on some signage as the person who commissioned the signs used Arial which caused a massive kerfuffle (once someone actually noticed a few weeks after they where up)

That’s interesting. According to the NHS England Identity Guidelines, the secondary font is Arial. :S

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

<pedantry>

NHS England uses Frutiger. NHS Scotland uses Stone Sans.

</pedantry>

Thanks to you I have identified a Font I was curious about. :D

Best regards!

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

the secondary font is Arial.

I think the use of Arial is for internal department documentation - I think from what I remember, Frutiger should be used for all commercially produced material - most of the MS word documents I received which needed to be made into leaflets, signage, annual reports etc. where setup using Arial - although it was around ten years ago that I was spending 90% of my time on NHS work so maybe it's a little more relaxed now as I think the I.T. departments had strict guidelines to setup all the PCs, my main contact told me they weren't allowed to install anything other than standard windows fonts for security reasons 

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• Staff
1 hour ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Cheer's Sean ----- done!

Thanks for that - unfortunately they're all appearing as 0 byte files in Dropbox and the same when downloaded and cannot install them into Font Book. Are you able to Zip them up prior to attaching please?

ok

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Uploaded a Zipped folder Sean

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• Staff

Thanks for that - not sure why but Windows absolutely refuses to show those files as having any data. When I open that zip on Mac it's fine! 

There is a known issue that PostScript fonts are not displaying in the Glyph Browser so I'll get it bumped with development.

Cheer's Sean

I haven't got the go-ahead on the job yet but I know that all UK NHS trusts (except Scotland I now know thanks to Alfred) use this same set of postscript fonts for design but recommend designers use Quark, InDesign, Illustrator to produce artwork - I'm gonna recommend Affinity although there may be issues in some of the spot colour stuff thats set up as duotone - done tests on some of the single spot leaflets which feature grayscale pics set up in Pantone 300 blue but the PDF, originally created in indesign, converts the Pantone 300 tiff images to CMYK on export as PDF/X-4 but got around the prob by exporting the prob images as grayscale and re-importing into the designer document and making Pantone 300 then re-export PDF/X-4 = perfect 

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.