You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help needed formatting two text frames

This one is driving me mad. Maybe my fault. Perhaps someone can solve the riddle for me formatting two text frames with the same paragraph style? See attached file.

Step 1: Format the whole text on page 2 with paragraph style HB - 03 Fliesstext.

Step 2: With the overflowing text create a text frame on page 3. This text should also be formatted with HB - 03 Fliesstext.

Step 3: Now make the text frame on page 2 smaller in height and see what happens on page 3.

Even if you do not have the font Milo OT, you can use any other font, should make no difference. Good luck and TIA.

what-a-mess.afpub

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Do you mean the difference in font size? – Can you reproduce that issue with another, not copied frame as first text frame?

1. I ignore your styles at all (pressed button "revert defaults") and, with clicked text-flow icon, I drag a new text frame. –>> The text in 2nd frame appears in 4,1 p size – towards 12 p in first frame.

2. Whereas if I create a new text frame on same page and copy/paste the text content from your existing frame into the new one, then the text-flow remains in same 12 p size.

3. The issue also occurs with your text frame when I copy/paste it to another .afpub.

I can not reproduce this size issue with another frame than yours.
So I assume your existing frame only is corrupted.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

That is most certainly because you changed the size of the text frame on page 2 by using the outer handle that will resize fonts within the text frame proportionally. It’s a common issue I have seen on the forum quite often. Maybe developers should find a smart solution for preventing users accidentally using the wrong handle … :)

Outer-Handle.png.9102ffb5ce36b57798ad1e3e4963707e.png

17 minutes ago, thomaso said:

So I assume your existing frame only is corrupted.

… or one text frame was simply scaled by using the wrong handle, when resizing it (at bottom right the text frame shows 2 handles: the inner one resizes the frame, the outer one scales frame and content.)

Uups! A fraction of a second too late! :)

51 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

because you changed the size of the text frame on page 2 by using the outer handle that will resize fonts

Appearently Joachim_L did not.

In that case "Revert Defaults"  549663996_revertdefaultsKopie.jpg.1f903589dee0fe066d3faa3c04046b9e.jpg  before flowing text in my trial would have reset the size.

43 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

That is most certainly because you changed the size of the text frame on page 2 by using the outer handle that will resize fonts within the text frame proportionally.

Not in my case. I have no other choice how to create a text frame, when I click the red triangle indicating overflowing text from the text frame on page 2. I click the triangle and draw the text frame. How should I accidently resize the text frame with the wrong handle here? Try it yourself. The original file was a opened PDF with Publisher, copying text and pasting into new frames is a show stopper. I mean this document has 106 pages. And how can a text frame be corrupt?

Edit: thomaso is right, copying the text into a new frame works, but leaves me feeling uneasy.

Edited by Joachim_L
Added information

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

19 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

leaves me feeling uneasy. 

No need.

As long the issue is not reproducible in a different object and does not happen more often it's "simply" a data hiccup. – Computer sind auch nur Menschen ;)

Compare this magic text-flow:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/73346-text-frames-connected-bug-report/&do=findComment&comment=381813

But it IS reproducible and the reason for this leaves me even uneasier. Attached you will find a PDF X3, generated by InDesign CS6 on Windows 8.1. There are now two test scenarios

Test scenario 1: Open the PDF with Publisher. Check the boxes for editable / grouped text if unchecked. Leave DPI for guess or change to 300 dpi. Resize the text frame now, click the overflow triangle and draw a new text frame. Result: Font size in new frame is smaller than expected.

Test scenario 2: Open the PDF with Publisher. Check the boxes for editable / grouped text if unchecked. Change DPI to 72 dpi. Resize the text frame now, click the overflow triangle and draw a new text frame. Result: Everything perfect.

Conclusion? Making tests which DPI is perfect for conversion / opening of PDF documents?

testfile-x3.pdf

------

5 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

But it IS reproducible

Ah, when assumed a "simple" text frame corruption I did not know that:

36 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

The original file was a opened PDF with Publisher,

Now, with your additional example ...:

5 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

. Change DPI to 72 dpi. 

... I guess there might be a bug in DPI handling – which reminds me to that kind of size manipulation, recently reported (and not answered yet):

On 5/15/2019 at 3:02 PM, Joachim_L said:

Not in my case. I have no other choice how to create a text frame, when I click the red triangle indicating overflowing text from the text frame on page 2.

I didn’t mean to suggest that you could have created the new text frame to care for the overflow in a wrong way. That isn’t possible indeed. I had meant to suggest that you probably had resized the original text frame by using the wrong handle.

But that doesn’t seem to have been the case, as your additional document clearly shows. I can reproduce the issue with your PDF from Indesign CS6. This is certainly serious for bringing documents to Publisher via PDF import. :(

On 5/15/2019 at 1:05 AM, Joachim_L said:

This one is driving me mad.

That is so [expletive deleted] up. I can't seem to get the same mess consistently. I don't even know where to begin with it.

Where are the Text and the Styles from is about the only question I can ask because Nothing should behave that way. It is so messed up.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

8 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Where are the Text and the Styles from is about the only question I can ask because Nothing should behave that way. It is so messed up.

? I don't understand? Text came from an opened PDF and Styles I created myself. So nothing is ... up. Just a simple workflow. And the solution / problem I found 4 posts back. If the origin DPI and DPI of Publisher are not the same, things get ... up. Same is for copying elements in InDesign CS6 and pasting it into Publisher. If Publisher has 300dpi as document setup, you should scale the content of InDesign by 417% or setting up Publisher with 72dpi.

------

Indeed, it appears rather a bug than by design that documents resolution has at all an impact on sizes of vector elements.

Also I wonder (or simply don't understand) why an .afpub document has a particular resolution at all. – For what use?
To me it is absolutely enough to choose a resolution on print or export.

7 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

So nothing is ... up. Just a simple workflow.

I agree, what I was seeing was really bad. Placeing a document should not result in that kind of mess. I think you have found an insidious bug.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

5 hours ago, thomaso said:

Also I wonder (or simply don't understand) why an .afpub document has a particular resolution at all.

Well, I think this is important to have, as it will allow, for instance, to calculate the “Placed DPI” resolution of an image file automatically. There might be other ways to do the necessary calculations and to ensure that your output meets the requirements of your print service, but the present implementation is something I would not want to miss, really. :)

Placed.png.8cb31f368d83f4148014a762038ad945.png

8 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

Well, I think this is important to have, as it will allow, for instance, to calculate the “Placed DPI” resolution of an image file automatically. There might be other ways to do the necessary calculations and to ensure that your output meets the requirements of your print service, but the present implementation is something I would not want to miss, really. :)

No, there is no need for a document resolution, only a setting for bitmap effects.

24 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

to calculate the “Placed DPI” resolution of an image file automatically.

I guess this is a misunderstanding. A placed image has a resolution by itself (see detailed info "Original DPI" in your screenshot). The placed DPI is simply a calculation of Original DPI & Placed Dimension – regardless a documents resolution. Each placed object in an .afpub document has a resolution which results from its original DPI and its size on page. *

You can imagine an .afpub document as a container (envelope) for various objects with various resolutions – like a PDF document does not have a resolution for itself (the container) but its objects only.

* edit: in a previous beta the document resolution indeed seemed to influence an object's placed DPI. That gave the impression one simply can increase placed DPI of a low resolution image by changing document DPI. I am glad that wrong calculation got fixed meanwhile.

Oh dear, thank you for the heads up! I was under the wrong (indeed weird) impression that the document resolution would somehow influence the calculation of that value. But that doesn’t make any sense, of course. I must have got some wires crossed. 9_9