You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colour Profile in a New document

Hopefully some one can help me out…. I am trying to get a much better all round understanding of what  'Colour Profile & Colour Format'. is/are.    When I open a New RAW Image, I see, along with all the other adjustments  an icon for Profiles ~ When I check this box, it shows ~ Output Profile - sRGB 1EC61966-21 and… if I open up the box, there are a hole host of other profiles with weird names and numbers (including one profile, which I have calibrated for my iMac using an i1Studio calibrator).   I have seen or read somewhere that a much better profile to use is one with a Larger Gamut  & the ones suggested were ~ ProPhoto RGB or ROMM RGB.   

So, at this point in the RAW Development process am I better to leave it with the ~  sRGB 1EC61966-21 or,  should I switch the profile to either my latest i1Studio calibrated version? ~ or not that then ~ use as suggested a larger Gamut  such as ProPhoto RGB or ROMM RGB.?  

If I then switch to any of these New / Different profiles, whilst I'm in the Develop Persona, do I have to switch-back-later-on to the sRGB 1EC61966-21 before I print?   And, if that's the case… How do I go about this?

Normally when I've finished editing an image I go File ⇢New⇢ a 'New Document' dialogue box appears and because I am unsure what to enter in the Colour Format or Colour Profile boxes shy away and just check that the size of paper is correct and click okay. (My bad I know)

My prints to date are always slightly disappointing and so perhaps a better understanding of  'Colour Profiles & Colour Formats'.  Will help get me to where I should already be.  

Hopefully someone out there can guide me through this latest post processing maze.